Need confirmation with a question answer

• Thread starter Sanosuke Sagara
  • Start date
In summary, the two masses are farther from the horizontal axis through O when they are attached at P than when they are attached at O.
Sanosuke Sagara
I have my question and solution in the attachment that followed.However I still can't find the answer that match that textbook.Is my answer wrong or the textbook answer wrong ?Do comment if I have done any calculation error.

Thanks for anybody that spend sometime on this question.

Attachments

• doc 4.doc
    20 KB · Views: 237
Physics news on Phys.org
The question says find the moment of inertia about the horizontal axis through O. You need to take the angle into account. I got an answer of 0.24975 kg m^2, but I don't know where I've gone wrong :/.

I have seen a question like this before in a book with the solution is by adding the total moment of inertia on the string.

That is , I = m_1 L_1 + m_2 L_2 without the claculation being interrupt by the angle 30 degree .But using this solution cannot find the correct answer.

Sanosuke Sagara said:
That is , I = m_1 L_1 + m_2 L_2 without the claculation being interrupt by the angle 30 degree .But using this solution cannot find the correct answer.
Your method and answer seem correct to me. The moment of inertia does not depend on the angle.

Thanks for mentor confirmation .Thanks for mentor mentor help.

Sanosuke Sagara said:
Just to be clear: That equation should have the lengths squared:
[tex]I = m_1 L_1^2 + m_2 L_2^2[/tex]

Doc Al said:
Your method and answer seem correct to me. The moment of inertia does not depend on the angle.

Are you sure about this? The moment of inertia is different depending on which axis of rotation you choose isn't it... mL^2 ... here L is the perpendicular distance from the mass to the axis of rotation... if you change the axis of rotation the distance is different...

The moment of inertia depends on the axis of rotation, but not on the angle.

The distance of the first object from the horizontal axis through O is 0.3cos30, and the second is 0.9cos30.

Here's what I get for the moment of inertia:

[tex]I=m_1r_1^2+m_2r_2^2[/tex]
[tex]I=(0.2)(0.3cos30)^2+(0.3)(0.9cos30)^2[/tex]
[tex]I=0.19575kgm^2[/tex]

learningphysics said:
The distance of the first object from the horizontal axis through O is 0.3cos30, and the second is 0.9cos30.
No. The distances from the axis are given as 0.3m and 0.9m. For some reason you are calculating the vertical component of those distances, but that has nothing to do with finding the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of a point mass depends only on its distance from the axis of rotation, not on the angle it makes.

Just as the mass of an object does not depend on its position, the moment of inertia of an object about a given axis does not depend on its orientation.

Here's what I get for the moment of inertia:

[tex]I=m_1r_1^2+m_2r_2^2[/tex]
[tex]I=(0.2)(0.3cos30)^2+(0.3)(0.9cos30)^2[/tex]
[tex]I=0.19575kgm^2[/tex]
This is incorrect.

Doc Al said:
No. The distances from the axis are given as 0.3m and 0.9m.

I might have misinterpreted the diagram. But it seems like 0.3 is the distance between O and P. And 0.9 is the distance between O and Q. So if we take the axis as one through O that is perpendicular to OPQ then we can use these distances, but that's not what the question asks, it asks for the moment of inertia about the "horizontal axis" through O.

I don't think the distance of each mass from the horizontal axis through O is given.

Am I wrong when I say 0.3cos30 is the distance between P and the horizontal axis through O?

I apologize for any errors I've made. I might have misinterpreted the original question.

learningphysics said:
I might have misinterpreted the diagram. But it seems like 0.3 is the distance between O and P. And 0.9 is the distance between O and Q. So if we take the axis as one through O that is perpendicular to OPQ then we can use these distances, but that's not what the question asks, it asks for the moment of inertia about the "horizontal axis" through O.
Ah... Now I see what you are talking about. You are assuming that the horizontal axis goes left to right, while I assume it goes perpendicular to the paper. Since it says "freely hinged" at O, and an angle is given, I just assumed that the angle was with respect to the axis of rotation! I picture it as a freely swinging rod (swinging left to right in the picture).

Related to Need confirmation with a question answer

1. How do you determine if a question answer needs confirmation?

As a scientist, I use a variety of methods to determine if a question answer needs confirmation. This can include conducting experiments, researching previous studies, and analyzing data.

2. Why is it important to confirm a question answer?

Confirming a question answer is important because it ensures accuracy and validity in the information being presented. It also allows for further research and development of new theories or concepts.

3. What are some common ways to confirm a question answer?

Some common ways to confirm a question answer include conducting experiments, gathering and analyzing data, peer-reviewing studies, and replicating results.

4. How do you handle conflicting or inconclusive results when trying to confirm a question answer?

When faced with conflicting or inconclusive results, I use critical thinking and analyze the data to determine any potential errors or factors that may have influenced the outcome. If necessary, I may also repeat the experiment or seek out additional research to gain a better understanding of the question answer.

5. Can a question answer ever be confirmed with 100% certainty?

As a scientist, I believe in the principle of falsifiability, which means that no theory or question answer can be proven with 100% certainty. However, through thorough research and evidence, a question answer can be strongly supported and accepted by the scientific community.