Need help calculating the heat of a wire wrapped

In summary: Then you can try different insulation materials to see what gives you the best temperature stability.
devinA
Okay so before I get torn to shreds let me say I am coming to the gurus for knowledge because I am severely lacking in it.

So here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to figure out how to control the temperature of a wire when coiled or wrapped around a small glass tube. I am using 32 gauge kenthal wire I believe the resistance is 13.75 ohms per foot. Let's say I am using a foot of it to keep it easy. I guess my question is: is there a way to calculate the amount of Power (watts?) it is going to take to heat the wire to a specific temperature range? Say between 320-430 degrees F?

Things I know I don't know:
Will the diameter of the thing it is wrapped around change the outcome? or is it just based on the length and resistance of the wire? ( I read some formulas about the cross sectional area is that the space in which it is wrapped length wise along the thing I am wrapping?) just wasn't exactly sure on this

Would there be a way to limit the voltage or wattage to get the wires to reach a certain temperature and stay at that temp? (for the most part I know there will be heat loss and stuff like that)

I am trying to do this as "mechanical" as possible I guess I mean to say I want to use the most simple things I can to accomplish desired effect even at the cost of some efficiency or complete accuracy.

Any and all tips and criticism is welcome, I know I do not know what I need to and I am humbly asking for help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
devinA said:
Okay so before I get torn to shreds let me say I am coming to the gurus for knowledge because I am severely lacking in it.

So here is what I am trying to do. I am trying to figure out how to control the temperature of a wire when coiled or wrapped around a small glass tube. I am using 32 gauge kenthal wire I believe the resistance is 13.75 ohms per foot. Let's say I am using a foot of it to keep it easy. I guess my question is: is there a way to calculate the amount of Power (watts?) it is going to take to heat the wire to a specific temperature range? Say between 320-430 degrees F?

Things I know I don't know:
Will the diameter of the thing it is wrapped around change the outcome? or is it just based on the length and resistance of the wire? ( I read some formulas about the cross sectional area is that the space in which it is wrapped length wise along the thing I am wrapping?) just wasn't exactly sure on this

Would there be a way to limit the voltage or wattage to get the wires to reach a certain temperature and stay at that temp? (for the most part I know there will be heat loss and stuff like that)

I am trying to do this as "mechanical" as possible I guess I mean to say I want to use the most simple things I can to accomplish desired effect even at the cost of some efficiency or complete accuracy.

Any and all tips and criticism is welcome, I know I do not know what I need to and I am humbly asking for help.

We used to use a set-up like this (with nichrome wire) to do pyrolysis reactions in a quartz tube under vacuum. You are likely going to lose a lot of heat unless you insulate the system. We would use glass wool to insulate our set-up. My guess is that insulation of the system is going to be the thing that limits the temperature that you will be able to achieve.

Recognize that a constant temperature means that the heat in (I^2R heating) equals the heat out. The heat out is going to depend upon the rates of heat out for the various loss mechanisms. Insulation minimizes some of these loss mechanisms.

So instead of trying to calculate everything out would this be a better situation to approach by testing and measuring? I was planning to insulate with high temperature grade silicone

devinA said:
So instead of trying to calculate everything out would this be a better situation to approach by testing and measuring? I was planning to insulate with high temperature grade silicone
I would try first with something you could remove, like a fiberglass sleeve, etc.

1. How do I calculate the heat of a wire wrapped?

To calculate the heat of a wire wrapped, you will need to know the material of the wire, its length, and its diameter. You will also need to know the voltage and current passing through the wire. Using the formula Q = I²Rt, where Q is the heat produced, I is the current, R is the resistance, and t is the time, you can calculate the heat of the wire.

2. What is the formula for calculating the heat of a wire wrapped?

The formula for calculating the heat of a wire wrapped is Q = I²Rt, where Q is the heat produced, I is the current, R is the resistance, and t is the time. This formula takes into account the amount of current passing through the wire, as well as the resistance and time, to determine the amount of heat produced.

3. How does the material of the wire affect the heat calculation?

The material of the wire plays a crucial role in the heat calculation. Different materials have different resistances, which will impact the amount of heat produced. For example, a wire made of copper will have a lower resistance compared to a wire made of steel, resulting in less heat production for the same amount of current passing through.

4. Can the heat of a wire wrapped be controlled?

Yes, the heat of a wire wrapped can be controlled by adjusting the current passing through the wire. Lowering the current will result in less heat production, while increasing the current will result in more heat production. Additionally, using materials with different resistances can also help control the heat produced.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when calculating the heat of a wire wrapped?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when calculating the heat of a wire wrapped. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves, when handling the wire. Also, keep in mind that the wire will become hot when current is passing through, so be careful when touching it. Always follow proper electrical safety guidelines to avoid any accidents.