Need help finding planar multibody systems

In summary, for this assignment, you can select a planar multibody system with a spring-damper element, such as a car suspension system, and use the point coordinate method and Matlab programs to model and evaluate its behavior. Your report should describe the system and its complexity, as well as discuss the accuracy and limitations of your model.
jughead4466
For my assignment I have to model a multibody system. I'm having a hard time trying to find a system that isn't overly difficult or easy. Right now I'm thinking about modeling the mechanical system of a mountain bicycle.

Do any of you guys have any ideas? Oh and there needs to be a spring-damper element.

Here is the assignment:

September 22, 2009
Due October 6, 2009

Select a planar multibody system and find the necessary data for the system (the data could be estimates).

(a) Model the system using the point coordinate method.
(b) Revise the Matlab programs Point_Coord to evaluate the constraints, the Jacobian matrix, the right-hand-side array of accelerations, the array of forces, and the mass matrix.
(c) Prepare a short report describing the system, showing the primary points, constraints, etc.

Your work will be graded based on the clarity of the report, complexity of the system, correctness and the complexity of the model.

The complexity is based on:

Type and number of constraints
Presence of spring-damper elements
Approximated mass versus exact mass distribution
The actual system itself (what does it do)

Engineering news on Phys.org

One idea for a multibody system that includes a spring-damper element is a suspension system for a car. This system is commonly used in vehicles to provide a smooth ride and improve handling. It consists of multiple components including springs, dampers, and control arms that work together to absorb shock and maintain stability.

To model this system, you can use the point coordinate method to identify the primary points and constraints. The primary points would include the attachment points of the springs and dampers, as well as the points where the control arms connect to the vehicle. The constraints would include the fixed positions and orientations of these points, as well as any restrictions on their motion.

Next, you can use Matlab programs to evaluate the constraints, Jacobian matrix, and other necessary arrays for the system. This will involve using equations that describe the motion and forces of the different components, as well as incorporating the spring and damper properties into the model.

In your report, you can describe the purpose and function of the suspension system in a car, and explain how your model captures its behavior. You can also discuss the complexity of the system, such as the number of constraints and the presence of spring-damper elements. Additionally, you can compare the accuracy of your model to an exact mass distribution versus an approximated one, and discuss any limitations or assumptions made in your model.

Overall, modeling a suspension system for a car would be a challenging and interesting multibody system to work on for this assignment. It would also provide valuable insights into the dynamics and mechanics of a common and important component in vehicles.

1. What is a planar multibody system?

A planar multibody system is a mechanical system consisting of interconnected rigid bodies that move in a two-dimensional plane. These systems are commonly modeled and analyzed in engineering and physics applications.

2. How do I find planar multibody systems for my research or project?

There are several ways to find planar multibody systems for your research or project. You can search for relevant literature, consult with experts in the field, or use computational tools to generate and analyze these systems.

3. What are some common applications of planar multibody systems?

Planar multibody systems have a wide range of applications, including robotics, vehicle dynamics, biomechanics, and structural analysis. They are also used in the design and optimization of mechanical systems such as linkages, gear trains, and mechanisms.

4. How do I ensure accuracy and reliability when working with planar multibody systems?

To ensure accuracy and reliability when working with planar multibody systems, it is important to use appropriate modeling and analysis techniques, validate your results through experiments or simulations, and consider any simplifying assumptions made in the analysis.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to working with planar multibody systems?

Some challenges and limitations of planar multibody systems include the complexity of their dynamics, the need for specialized software and knowledge, and the potential for errors in modeling and analysis. It is important to carefully consider these factors when working with these systems.