Need Help finding radius of ball using bouyancy

In summary, the problem involves an iron ball suspended by a thread from a partially submerged upright cylinder with specific dimensions and density. The task is to find the radius of the ball. Using Newton's Second Law and Archimedes' Principle, the volume of the ball can be calculated. However, there is a concern about getting a negative value for the volume due to the assumption that the cylinder is hollow. After further consideration, it is determined that the buoyant force on the ball should also be taken into account in the calculation.
Roger Wilco

Homework Statement

An iron ball is suspended by a thread of negligible mass from an upright cylinder that floats partially submerged in water. The cylinder has a height of 6.00cm, a face area A=12.0 cm^2 on the top and bottom, and a density [tex]\rho_c=.300\frac{g}{cm^3}[/tex], and 2.00 cm of its height is above the water. What is the radius of the ball?

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex] [tex]F_b=\rho*V*g[/tex]
Using Newton's Second and Archimedes' Principle I have used the following method. My concern comes at the point that I get the expression (V'-V)<-- this will yeild a NEGATIVE quantity and r cannot = negative. My problem is that the V'=volume of water displaced and V= volume of the cylinder. I think I need to assume that the CYLINDER IS HOLLOW in order to get a positive quantity. But whay is the volume of a hollow cylinder if I am not given an inner and outer radius??

The Attempt at a Solution

Subscript c is cylinder, b is the ball, and V' is the portion of the cylinder under water.

[tex]\sum F=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow W_c+W_b-F_{bouyant}=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow m_cg+m_bg-\rho_cV_c'g=0[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow \rho_cV_c+\rho_bV_b=\rho_cV_c'[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow V_b=\frac{\rho_c(V_c'-V_c)}{\rho_b}[/tex]

I don't find it necessary to move any further than this last step as finding the r is easy enough from there. However it is in this last step that you can see that if I use
V=height*cross-sectional area...I will get a negative number for V'-V.

What should I be using for V? Shoud it be zero? I think that is a bold assumption, or is it?

Thank you,
RW

Edit: After looking at my diagram, I have encountered another problem: Do I need to consider the bouyant force on the ball, too?

I do not not see why I wouldn't.

Okay. I also noticed that for F_bouyant I should have used rho_water NOT of the cylinder.

Guess I need to re-work this. :( So I guess in re-working this my question is still: do I need to consider the bouyant force on the ball, too?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the problem is that you're multiplying V'c by the density of the cylinder and not the density of water which is what you need to do for the buoyant force.

Kurdt said:
I think the problem is that you're multiplying V'c by the density of the cylinder and not the density of water which is what you need to do for the buoyant force.

Yeah Kurdt, I just caught that. But tell me, should I be taking into account the Bouyant Force of the ball?

See "Edits" in post #1.

Roger Wilco said:
Yeah Kurdt, I just caught that. But tell me, should I be taking into account the Bouyant Force of the ball?

See "Edits" in post #1.

Thats a good thought, and yes I would do that. Its not that much harder.

1. How do you calculate the radius of a ball using buoyancy?

To calculate the radius of a ball using buoyancy, you will need to know the density of the fluid in which the ball is submerged, the density of the ball, and the volume of the displaced fluid. The formula for calculating radius is: radius = (3 * volume of displaced fluid) / (4 * pi * density of fluid - density of ball).

2. What is the principle behind using buoyancy to find the radius of a ball?

Buoyancy is based on Archimedes’ principle, which states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that it displaces. By measuring the volume of the displaced fluid, we can calculate the buoyant force on the object and use it to determine the radius of the ball.

3. Can buoyancy be used to find the radius of any type of ball?

Yes, buoyancy can be used to find the radius of any type of ball as long as it is submerged in a fluid and the density of the fluid and the ball are known. This method is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the dimensions of various objects.

4. What are the limitations of using buoyancy to find the radius of a ball?

One limitation of using buoyancy to find the radius of a ball is that it assumes the object is perfectly spherical and the density is constant throughout. In reality, most objects are not perfectly spherical and their density may vary, which can lead to some inaccuracies in the calculation.

5. Are there any other methods for finding the radius of a ball?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the radius of a ball, such as measuring with a ruler or using a caliper. These methods may be more accurate for non-spherical objects, but they may also be more time-consuming and require physical access to the object. Buoyancy is a useful alternative method for determining the radius of a ball in situations where direct measurement is not possible.