1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help in build a cylindrical arm robotfinal project

1. Mar 28, 2009 #1
    I am a student at ungku omar polytechnic.i want to ask someone that is good in engineering robot.i want to know how to make the cylindrical robot,do i have to used ball screw or belting as an actuator.I want to a build a small robot only about 550mm long and 650 mm hight.It can pull load of about 2 kg or 1 kg.Can i know also how the connection and what microcontroller that i have to used to make it function.I also want to ask what motor that is suitable for the making of this such robot.the axample is like the robot built at st robotics types r 19.I also want to know what types of body do we need to used.We plan to used fiber or aluminium or titanium.But can you suggest , what is good from this three types of body part.
    I also want to know what types of gripper is more easy and cheap to be used in this kind of robot.

Is is cylindrical arm robot for studies only.

This is my group final project and we need help.

We hope to get result or support from other that kind.

The part we need is part that cheap for student used.

thanks.

hope to hear soon.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2009 #2
    everything you asked entirely depends upon the application to which the robot will be put. Motor has to be just powerful to power whatever needs to be powered. For example, 1-2 kg mass is to be pulled, in what direction? horizontal? vertical? calculate the power required. Regarding actuator, think of what you need, high reduction? accuracy? (cost?..)

4. Mar 30, 2009 #3
    can i know what types of motor that i need to used for directional front to back and back to front,up and down and lastly rotation motor.Do i hove to used stepper,dc motor or servo motor??

I also want to know what is the microcontroller that has to be used to control the motor...the circuit...i mean..

please help our project group..

5. Apr 1, 2009 #4
    think of what advantage does a DC motor, a servo & a stepper has, do you know what are their limitations? weigh several aspects of these motors against your application, & choose the one which suits you best.

i am not able to understand what you mean by front to back, front to back...., can you show a schematic?

its no use even if you know which micro controller to use until you know how to use it, or more precisely what it is. Your best bet would be to rope in someone who knows embedded systems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook