Need help in complex integration

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, \frac{\sin{x}}{x} \, dx and suggests using complex numbers and Cauchy's residue theorem. It is also mentioned to use a contour that includes a small semi-circular indent to account for the pole at x=0. The conversation also suggests using the function \frac{e^iz}{z} to simplify the integral.
krindik
Can somebody help me with this.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \, \frac{\sin{x}}{x} \, dx[/tex]
Could u pls advice me with the procedure to follow not only the answer?

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Use complex numbers as there is a pole of order=0 at x=0
[tex]

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x) \, dx = 2\pi\, i \sum_{res\, upper\, hp} {f(x)} \, + \pi\, i \sum_{res\, real\, axis} {f(x)}
[/tex]

which give 0 as the answer

2. Expand by sin(x) by Taylor series around 0 and multiply by x this gives a divergent series

Couldn't figure out which is correct?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
have you drawn the contour for this problem? the fact that there is a simple pole at x=0 (i.e. on the real axis) means you'll need a small semi-circular indent to take care of this.

also you can use Cauchy's residue theorem to get the integral round the whole contour then your probably going to need some sort of analysis with Jordan's lemma to eliminate the contributions from the parts of the contour not on the real line...

oh it will be easier to consider [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^iz}{z} dz[/itex] and then take the imaginary part of this at the end.

Thanks.
I tried the contour as in image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Contour_of_KKR.svg"

taking the pole to z=0.

I used the following theorem

[tex]

\textbf{Principal Value}\left\{\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! f(x) \, dx \right\} = 2\pi\, i \sum_{res\, upper\, hp} {f(x)} \, + \pi\, i \sum_{res\, real\, axis} {f(x)}
[/tex]

But there are no poles in upper half plane so the first sum is zero.

There's a pole at x=0 on real axis. Residue at x=0 is zero.

I'd really like to how u came to the below conclusion
[itex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{e^iz}{z} dz[/itex]

is it by experience or is there any standard procedure u followed?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just look at sin(z)/z on that contour you can't control the size of the function on the large semiarc. Use sin(z)=(exp(iz)-exp(-iz))/(2i) and split the integral into two parts. Now exp(iz) is small if z has a positive imaginary part and vice versa for exp(-iz). So close the outer part of the contour in the upper half plane for the first and the lower half plane for the second. Now pick out which one of those integrals contains the pole and work it out. Pay attention to the orientation of the contour.

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical process that involves calculating the integral of a function over a complex domain. In simpler terms, it is the process of finding the area under a curve in the complex plane.

2. Why is complex integration important?

Complex integration is important in various fields of science and engineering, including physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing. It allows us to solve problems that cannot be solved using real integration and provides a more accurate representation of physical phenomena.

3. How do I solve complex integration problems?

The general process for solving complex integration problems involves breaking down the problem into smaller, simpler parts, using complex algebra and trigonometry to manipulate the integrand, and then applying known integration techniques. Practice and familiarity with complex numbers are also helpful.

4. What are some common techniques for complex integration?

Some common techniques for complex integration include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, contour integration, and the method of residues. Other techniques such as substitution and partial fraction decomposition can also be useful in certain cases.

5. Are there any tools or resources that can help with complex integration?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with complex integration, including textbooks, online tutorials, and software programs. Some popular software programs for complex integration include Mathematica, Maple, and MATLAB, which have built-in functions for solving complex integrals. Additionally, there are online tools that can help with step-by-step solutions for complex integration problems.