Need help obtaining hydrostatic forces on a gate

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving using the formula F = pgA(h bar) to find the water pressure at a horizontal part and determine the conditions for the object to not move. The participants mention not having all the necessary information and receiving hints from others to solve the problem. The person asking for help eventually solves the problem and plans to share the answer later.
lvluffinz
tbQM5kW.jpg
I know we need to use F = pgA(h bar), as that's what I'm given in notes and whatnot, but I can't for the life of me get this simple one done.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I have an exam coming up on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not that simple. Two questions that might help:
What is the water pressure at the horizontal part?
What is the difference between "does not move yet" and "starts to move", which condition has to be satisfied to not move?

mfb said:
It is not that simple. Two questions that might help:
What is the water pressure at the horizontal part?
What is the difference between "does not move yet" and "starts to move", which condition has to be satisfied to not move?

We weren't given any of that info. Just threw this question on us...

This is something you should find out! The given information is sufficient to do so.
You'll also need the density of water and the gravitational acceleration g but those are well-known values.

mfb said:
This is something you should find out! The given information is sufficient to do so.
You'll also need the density of water and the gravitational acceleration g but those are well-known values.

He's basically disappeared until the exam, so there isn't a thing I could do sadly.

lvluffinz said:
He's basically disappeared until the exam, so there isn't a thing I could do sadly.

You can use the hints that you've been given in the thread and the hints I sent you via PM to draw the FBD and start working out the forces and moments. We require that you show effort on your schoolwork here before we can offer tutorial help...

berkeman said:
You can use the hints that you've been given in the thread and the hints I sent you via PM to draw the FBD and start working out the forces and moments. We require that you show effort on your schoolwork here before we can offer tutorial help...
Doing that right now!

Likes berkeman
I'm not sure I understand the diagram. I think the gate is an L shape, but the gap between the hinge and the vertical part bothers me.

haruspex said:
I'm not sure I understand the diagram. I think the gate is an L shape, but the gap between the hinge and the vertical part bothers me.

Yeah, I think it's drawn incorrectly as well. I mentioned that to the OP in a private conversation we were having, and I probably should have posted it in-thread as well.

Should have updated this thread, but I've figured it out. Solved it and all! I'll post the answer later tomorrow as I'm about to head to bed for my exam!

EDIT: I just scanned my working pretty quick and snipped it. will post here.
HIZBgmX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
I get the same.

FAQ: Need help obtaining hydrostatic forces on a gate

1. What are hydrostatic forces?

Hydrostatic forces are the forces exerted by a fluid, such as water, on an object submerged or partially submerged in it. These forces are a result of the pressure differences within the fluid and are directly proportional to the surface area of the object.

2. Why do we need to obtain hydrostatic forces on a gate?

Obtaining hydrostatic forces on a gate is important for understanding the structural integrity and stability of the gate when subjected to different water levels. This information is crucial for designing and constructing gates that can withstand the pressure and forces exerted by the water.

3. How do we calculate hydrostatic forces on a gate?

To calculate hydrostatic forces on a gate, we need to know the density of the fluid, the surface area of the gate, and the depth of the fluid. The formula for calculating hydrostatic forces is F = ρgA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and A is the surface area of the gate.

4. What factors can affect hydrostatic forces on a gate?

The main factors that can affect hydrostatic forces on a gate include the density of the fluid, the surface area of the gate, and the depth of the fluid. Other factors such as the shape and orientation of the gate, as well as any obstructions in the fluid, can also have an impact on the hydrostatic forces.

5. How can we use hydrostatic forces to improve gate design?

By accurately calculating and understanding hydrostatic forces, engineers and designers can use this information to improve gate design. This includes selecting appropriate materials and shapes to withstand the forces, as well as incorporating features such as drainage systems to reduce the impact of hydrostatic forces on the gate.