Need help on another electromagnetic problem

In summary, a perfectly absorbing uniform circular disk with a mass of 27.0 g and radius of 37.0 cm is hanging vertically from a frictionless hinge. A horizontal beam of electromagnetic radiation with intensity is incident on the disk, causing it to rotate. Using the formula P = (2*S*cos(theta)^2)/c, one can calculate the angle through which the disk rotates as it reaches its new equilibrium position. However, this approach does not take into account the mass or radius of the disk. To accurately determine the net force of the light, the force should be applied at the center of mass and the resulting rotation should be assumed to be small.
andrew410
A uniform circular disk of mass 27.0 g and radius 37.0 cm hangs vertically from a fixed, frictionless, horizontal hinge at a point on its circumference. A horizontal beam of electromagnetic radiation with intensity is incident on the disk in a direction perpendicular to its surface. The disk is perfectly absorbing, and the resulting radiation pressure makes the disk rotate. Find the angle through which the disk rotates as it reaches its new equilibrium position. (Assume that the radiation is always perpendicular to the surface of the disk.)

I used the formula P = S/c, where P is the pressure and S is the Poynting vector and c is the speed of light. I made P = (2*S*cos(theta)^2)/c and solved for theta, but the answer was incorrect. I kind of felt this wasn't the right way of doing it because I didn't use the mass or radius in the problem. I need some help...any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to determine the net force of the light. Apply the force at the center of mass.

The center of mass rotates upward to a new elevation and the mg[/itex]\Delta h[/itex], The light pressure (force) balances the lateral (horizontal) component of the gravity force. Assume small angle.

Hi there! It's great that you're trying to solve this electromagnetic problem. Let's break it down step by step.

First, we need to find the force exerted by the radiation pressure on the disk. This can be done by using the formula F = P/A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the disk. Since the disk is perfectly absorbing, we can assume that all of the radiation is absorbed and the pressure is equal to the intensity. Therefore, P = I.

Next, we need to find the area of the disk. Since the disk is circular, its area can be calculated using the formula A = πr^2, where r is the radius of the disk. Plugging in the given values, we get A = π(0.37m)^2 = 0.1369 m^2.

Now, we can plug in the values for force and area into the formula F = P/A to get F = I/0.1369 m^2.

Since the force is acting on the disk at a distance of 0.37m from the hinge, we can use the formula τ = Fd to find the torque exerted on the disk. Plugging in the values, we get τ = (I/0.1369 m^2)(0.37m) = 0.37I Nm.

Finally, we can use the formula τ = Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration, to find the angle of rotation. Since the disk is rotating at a constant speed, we can assume that it has reached its equilibrium position and α = 0. Therefore, we can rearrange the formula to get α = τ/I.

The moment of inertia of a disk can be calculated using the formula I = (1/2)mr^2, where m is the mass of the disk and r is the radius. Plugging in the given values, we get I = (1/2)(0.027 kg)(0.37m)^2 = 0.000749 kgm^2.

Now, we can plug in the values for torque and moment of inertia into the formula α = τ/I to get α = (0.37I Nm)/(0.000749 kgm^2) = 493.99 rad/s^2.

Since the disk starts

Related to Need help on another electromagnetic problem

1. What is an electromagnetic problem?

An electromagnetic problem is a situation or scenario that involves the interaction of electric and magnetic fields. These problems often arise in the study of electricity, magnetism, and electromagnetism.

2. How can I solve an electromagnetic problem?

To solve an electromagnetic problem, you need to understand the fundamental principles of electricity and magnetism. This includes understanding the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, as well as the laws and equations that govern their interactions. You also need to have a good grasp of mathematical concepts such as vector calculus and differential equations.

3. What are some common types of electromagnetic problems?

Some common types of electromagnetic problems include calculating the electric and magnetic fields generated by a charged particle or a current-carrying wire, determining the behavior of electromagnetic waves, and analyzing the behavior of magnetic materials.

4. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic problems?

Electromagnetic problems have countless real-world applications, including the design of electrical circuits and devices, the development of communication technologies such as radios and cell phones, and the study of natural phenomena such as lightning and the Earth's magnetic field.

5. What tools can I use to help me solve an electromagnetic problem?

There are various tools that can assist you in solving electromagnetic problems, such as specialized software programs, simulation tools, and online calculators. You can also use mathematical techniques such as symmetry and approximation methods to simplify the problem and make it easier to solve.