How Do You Graph Velocity for Different Speeds and Time Intervals?

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving graphing velocity on a straight track. The problem provides information about walking and running distances and speeds, and asks for a graph of position vs. time and how to find average velocity on the graph. The person is asking for help with graphing the second speed on the graph.
kevinf
need urgent help on graphing velocity graphs

Homework Statement

(a) You walk 71.4 m at a speed of 1.22 m/s and then run 71.4 m at a speed of 3.05 m/s along a straight track.

(b) You walk for 1.16 min at a speed of 1.22 m/s and then run for 1.16 min at 3.05 m/s along a straight track.

(c) Graph x versus t for both cases and indicate how the average velocity is found on the graph. (Do this on paper. Your instructor may ask you to turn in this graph.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i need help on graphing this for part c. i already graphed 1.16(60) divide by 1.22 on the graph but i don't know how to do the second speed. any help would be apprecieated

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you describe where you're getting stuck? You found the time for the first distance... just add the time for the second distance...

Hello,

Graphing velocity graphs can seem daunting, but it's actually a straightforward process. The first step is to plot the data points on a graph with the time on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. For part (a), you would plot two points - (0, 1.22) and (1.16, 3.05).

Next, you can connect these two points with a straight line to create the velocity graph. The slope of this line represents the average velocity, which can be found by calculating the rise over run, or (change in velocity)/(change in time). In this case, the change in velocity is 1.83 m/s (3.05-1.22) and the change in time is 1.16 min (1.16 min - 0 min). So the average velocity would be (1.83 m/s)/(1.16 min) = 1.58 m/s.

For part (b), you would plot two points - (0, 1.22) and (1.16, 3.05) - just like in part (a). However, since the time intervals are different, the slope of the line connecting these points would be different. You can follow the same process as in part (a) to find the average velocity for part (b).

I hope this helps! If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out to your instructor or a tutor for additional support. Good luck with your graphs!

1. How do I graph velocity on a graph?

To graph velocity on a graph, you will need to plot the time on the x-axis and the velocity on the y-axis. Each data point on the graph will represent the velocity at a specific time. You can use a line graph or a scatter plot to display the data.

2. What is the best way to interpret a velocity graph?

The best way to interpret a velocity graph is to look at the slope of the line or the curvature of the data points. A positive slope or an upward curvature indicates an increase in velocity, while a negative slope or a downward curvature indicates a decrease in velocity. The steeper the slope or the sharper the curvature, the greater the change in velocity.

3. How can I calculate the average velocity from a velocity graph?

To calculate the average velocity from a velocity graph, you will need to find the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph. The slope represents the change in velocity divided by the change in time. This will give you the average velocity between those two points on the graph.

4. What does a flat horizontal line on a velocity graph indicate?

A flat horizontal line on a velocity graph indicates that there is no change in velocity over time. This could mean that the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

5. How can I use a velocity graph to determine the acceleration of an object?

To determine the acceleration of an object from a velocity graph, you will need to find the slope of the line representing the velocity on the graph. The slope of the line represents the change in velocity over time, which is the definition of acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration.