1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need help-question

1. Apr 21, 2006 #1
    if an aircraft with a coefficient of lift of 0.05322 is traveling at the velocity of 240 kts at sea level, how much lift is required to fly at level unaccelerated flight if the aircraft weighs 800 lbs? (hint: trick question)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please show some intial working or thoughts...

HINT: The answer is given in the question

~H

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  4. Apr 21, 2006 #3
    i need the answer..i cant even understand the sentence, its for something im doing online, can u answer it for m,e please

5. Apr 21, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't give out answers here, we're here to help you understand the subject matter, not to do the question for you. However, the answer really is in the question. If you don't understand try drawing a free body diagram.

~H

6. Apr 21, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

BIG HINT: What can you say about the forces acting on an aircraft in straight and level flight (no acceleration)?

7. Apr 21, 2006 #6
    what is a free body diagram, LOL!

i do not study physics nor am i close...i need the answer for something i am doing online, can you answer it for me, telling me to work on it wont help since it would be like speaking chinese to someone only fluent in english :)

8. Apr 21, 2006 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Again, we don't do the problems for you.

If you don't know what a free body diagram is, I suggest you look at something a little more basic. You can't start in the middle of a book and expect it to make sense.

9. Apr 21, 2006 #8
    ONCE AGAIN, im not doing homework..i didnt even put it in the homework section, im not picking up any book nor is this going to help me in anyway schoolwise since i dont even take physcics, i asked for help, if you dont wanna help then whatever duke

10. Apr 22, 2006 #9
    The answer is quite literally given in the question, since there are only 3 numbers in the question it can't be too hard to narrow them down. You want lift, lift is a force so which of the numbers given in the question has units of force? That's your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?