Need Help with Related Rates Problem? Discover the Solution Now!

In summary, a man 6 ft tall is walking away from a 15 ft street light at a speed of 5 ft/s. The tip of his shadow is moving away from the light at a rate of 25/3 ft/s when he is 40 ft from the pole. The rate of the tip of his shadow is constant and does not depend on the distance from the pole.
sutupidmath
Need help! Related rates!

Homework Statement

I am stuck somewhere on a related rates problem, i think that i am missing something rather obvious, but i cannot figure out so far.

-A street light is mounted at the top of the 15 ft-tall pole. A man 6 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 5 ft/s along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40 ft from the pole.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here it is what i did so far. I drew a triangle to describe the situation, i let one side of the triangle be 15 ft, i let x be the distance from the pole to the man, and i let y be the length of the shadow of the man. Then from the similarity of the triangles i got this relationship

[tex]\frac{15}{x+y}=\frac{6}{y}[/tex] i tried to rearrange this a little and i came up with

[tex]y=\frac{2}{3}x[/tex]

From the data i also know that [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=5[/tex]
I also know that i should let [tex]x=40[/tex] after i come up with a relationship between the rate at which the man is moving and the rate of change of the tip of his shadow.

Here it is where i am stuck, for if we just implicitly differentiate [tex]y=\frac{2}{3}x[/tex] with respect to time it does not work. What am i missing here??

Any help would be really appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sutupidmath said:

Homework Statement

I am stuck somewhere on a related rates problem, i think that i am missing something rather obvious, but i cannot figure out so far.

-A street light is mounted at the top of the 15 ft-tall pole. A man 6 ft tall walks away from the pole with a speed of 5 ft/s along a straight path. How fast is the tip of his shadow moving when he is 40 ft from the pole.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here it is what i did so far. I drew a triangle to describe the situation, i let one side of the triangle be 15 ft, i let x be the distance from the pole to the man, and i let y be the length of the shadow of the man. Then from the similarity of the triangles i got this relationship

[tex]\frac{15}{x+y}=\frac{6}{y}[/tex] i tried to rearrange this a little and i came up with

[tex]y=\frac{2}{3}x[/tex]

From the data i also know that [tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=5[/tex]
I also know that i should let [tex]x=40[/tex] after i come up with a relationship between the rate at which the man is moving and the rate of change of the tip of his shadow.

Here it is where i am stuck, for if we just implicitly differentiate [tex]y=\frac{2}{3}x[/tex] with respect to time it does not work. What am i missing here??

Any help would be really appreciated!
Why doesn't differentiating work? dy/dt= (2/3)dx/dt and you know that dx/dt= 5 ft/sec. It looks like dy/dt= 10/3 ft/sec. Why is that wrong?

sutupidmath said:
What am i missing here??

Hi sutupidmath!

You're asked for the speed of the tip of the shadow, which is x + y, and you've only worked out the "speed" of the length of the shadow - so you've got the shadow moving slower than the man, and presumably ending up behind him!

Is that what happened to Peter Pan? :smile:

HallsofIvy said:
Why doesn't differentiating work? dy/dt= (2/3)dx/dt and you know that dx/dt= 5 ft/sec. It looks like dy/dt= 10/3 ft/sec. Why is that wrong?
This problem is from Stewart's, it tripped me up for a whole week. Makes a lot more sense to me now though, and has helped to solve other related rate problems ... so great problem.

Should be set up as ...

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(x+y)=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac 5 3 x\right)[/tex]

Last edited:
Yeah, i realized that what i actually should have changed in my approach is that i should have let x be the length of the shadow, (and not y) and let y be the distance of the man from the pole. But, the reason that i also got confused, is that we used nowhere the fact that the man is 40 ft from the pole when we are measuring the rate at which the tip of his shadow moves. In other words, even if we were not given this extra information, we still could have solved this problem? So why did they add this extra info, there? So is this extra information here given basically to trick us, or? For if it would not be given, i could get to the result way easier.

Edit: I think that the rate of the tip of the man's shadow will be constant, right? so no matter how long from the pole the man moves, the rate of the tip of his shadow will still be 25 ft/s. For if this is not the case then, i still think we are missing something there, and we have to somehow incorporate the distance of the man from the pole...

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:

Because the answer at the end of the book is 25/3, and we used nowhere the fact that the man is 40 ft from the pole when we calculated the rate at which the tip of his shadow moves.!

Boy, I should have read that more closely! Yes, his shadow is lengthing by 10/3 ft./sec. and he is walking away from the light at 5 ft/sec so the tip of his shadow is moving away from the light at 10/3+ 5= 10/3+ 15/3= 25/3 ft/sec. You don't have to use the distance itself because the function involved is linear- the derivative with respect to time is a constant.

HallsofIvy said:
Boy, I should have read that more closely! Yes, his shadow is lengthening by 10/3 ft./sec. and he is walking away from the light at 5 ft/sec so the tip of his shadow is moving away from the light at 10/3+ 5= 10/3+ 15/3= 25/3 ft/sec. You don't have to use the distance itself because the function involved is linear- the derivative with respect to time is a constant.

I thought once to go exactly like you did it here, but i wasn't sure as to why aren't we considering the distance, so it thought this would be wrong.

Thnx all of you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Need Help with Related Rates Problem? Discover the Solution Now!

1. What are related rates?

Related rates refer to a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of one quantity with respect to another related quantity.

2. How do I solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you will need to use the chain rule and set up an equation that relates the rates of change of the different quantities involved. Then, you can use calculus techniques to find the desired rate of change.

3. What are some common examples of related rates problems?

Some common examples of related rates problems include finding the rate at which the area of a circle is changing as its radius changes, or finding the rate at which the height of a cone is changing as its volume changes.

4. How do I know when to use related rates in a problem?

You can identify a related rates problem when you are given the rate of change of one quantity and asked to find the rate of change of another related quantity. The key is to identify the relationship between the two quantities and use the appropriate calculus techniques to solve the problem.

5. What are some tips for solving related rates problems?

Some tips for solving related rates problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the problem, labeling the given rates and the desired rate, and using clear and concise notation. It is also helpful to carefully consider the relationship between the quantities involved and to double-check your calculations at the end.