Need help setting up FEMM for current flow problem

In summary, FEMM is a software that uses the finite element method to solve problems related to electromagnetics. It can be downloaded from its official website and installed on different operating systems by following the provided instructions. To set up a current flow problem, a new project needs to be created and parameters such as geometry, materials, and boundary conditions must be specified. FEMM has various output options for visualizing and analyzing the results, and additional resources such as user forums, tutorials, and documentation are available for help.
zmrbill
I am new to FEMM 4.2 and need help setting up a simple current flow problem. I have a square copper sheet that has input and output terminals (square contacts) in opposite corners and and 1000A flowing across it. The sheet is 16" square and the contacts are 2" square. The sheet is 0.050" and the contacts are 0.25" thick. The part I don't get is setting up the boundaries and setting up the conductors. I start my simulation and it never solves. How do I setup the boundaries and conductors?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sorry Bill, aparently we can't find anyone familiar with FEMM 4.2.

1. What is FEMM?

FEMM stands for Finite Element Method Magnetics. It is a software that uses the finite element method to solve problems related to electromagnetics, such as current flow problems.

2. How do I download and install FEMM?

You can download FEMM from its official website, where you can also find installation instructions for different operating systems. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully to ensure a successful installation.

3. How do I set up a current flow problem in FEMM?

To set up a current flow problem in FEMM, you will need to create a new project and specify the necessary parameters such as the geometry, materials, and boundary conditions. You can then use the built-in tools to define the current flow and simulate the problem.

4. How do I interpret the results from FEMM?

FEMM provides various output options, such as vector plots, contour plots, and numerical data, to visualize and analyze the results of your current flow problem. You can also refer to the FEMM user manual for detailed explanations on how to interpret the results.

5. Are there any resources available for additional help with FEMM?

Yes, there are various online resources available, such as user forums and tutorials, where you can find help and guidance on using FEMM for current flow problems. You can also refer to the user manual and documentation provided by FEMM for further assistance.