Need help solving the differential equation for the shape of a catenary?

Macdonald Sørensen:In summary, the differential equation y''=a*sqrt(1+(y')^2) can be solved by defining a new function u = y' and integrating both sides with respect to the appropriate variable.
becksftw
(Moderator's note: thread moved from "Differential Equations")

The DE is y''=a*sqrt(1+(y')^2)

I have no idea how to go about integrating it, I just started taking diff eq's and haven't taken calc in over a year. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
becksftw said:
The DE is y''=a*sqrt(1+(y')^2)

I have no idea how to go about integrating it, I just started taking diff eq's and haven't taken calc in over a year. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

A first step could be to define a new function u := y'

Then rewrite:

u'/sqrt(1+u^2) = a

and then integrate both sides with respect to time or space or whatever variable y depended on.

Torquil

1. What is a catenary?

A catenary is a type of curve formed by a hanging chain or cable that is suspended from two fixed points. It is often described as the shape of a hanging rope or chain.

2. How is a catenary different from a parabola?

A catenary and a parabola may look similar, but they are mathematically different curves. A parabola is a symmetrical curve formed by the intersection of a plane and a cone, while a catenary is an asymmetrical curve formed by the force of gravity acting on a hanging chain or cable.

3. What is the differential equation for a catenary?

The differential equation for a catenary is y = cosh(x), where y represents the height of the curve at a given point and x represents the distance along the curve from the lowest point.

4. How do you solve the differential equation for a catenary?

To solve the differential equation for a catenary, you can use calculus techniques such as integration and differentiation. There are also several mathematical formulas and methods specifically designed for solving catenary equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of catenary curves?

Catenary curves have several practical applications in engineering and architecture. They are often used in the design of suspension bridges, arches, and dome structures. They can also be seen in the shape of power lines, telephone wires, and hanging chains in buildings and structures.