Need help trying to integrate a messy function

In summary, the given integral can be split into two parts and evaluated using a substitution and a trigonometric substitution.
insane0hflex

Homework Statement

Evaulate the following integral:
2*integral from r-b to r of h(x-r+b)b*sqrt(r2-x2) dx
or a picture
http://imgur.com/n2PUN

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried setting u = r^2-x^2, lost after a couple more steps. Nothing seems to cancel out smoothly. For the record, I am in Calc II, and have not learned integral by parts or trig sub.
Heres a webpage I got the integral from http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CylindricalWedge.html

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume r, b, and h are constants. If so, split the integral into
[itex]2\displaystyle\int\limits_{r-b}^r \dfrac{hx}{b} \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} dx + 2\int\limits_{r-b}^r \frac{h(b-r)}{b} \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} dx[/itex]

Then the first can be done with the substitution you've tried already, and the second will require a trig substitution.

δοτ said:
I assume r, b, and h are constants. If so, split the integral into
[itex]2\displaystyle\int\limits_{r-b}^r \dfrac{hx}{b} \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} dx + 2\int\limits_{r-b}^r \frac{h(b-r)}{b} \sqrt{r^2 - x^2} dx[/itex]

Then the first can be done with the substitution you've tried already, and the second will require a trig substitution.

Thank you, worked it out and will ask the professor tomorrow. Thanks for your help!

Related to Need help trying to integrate a messy function

1. What is a messy function?

A messy function is a mathematical expression or equation that is complex, difficult to understand, or contains many variables or operations.

2. Why is it important to integrate a messy function?

Integrating a messy function allows us to find the area under the curve or the total change of a system, which can provide valuable insights and information in various scientific and mathematical fields.

3. What are some strategies for integrating a messy function?

Some strategies for integrating a messy function include using substitution, integration by parts, or using specific rules and formulas for certain types of functions (e.g. trigonometric functions).

4. How can I check if my integration of a messy function is correct?

You can check the correctness of your integration by differentiating the result and seeing if it matches the original function. You can also use online integration calculators or ask for assistance from a colleague or a tutor.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when integrating a messy function?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid when integrating a messy function include missing or incorrect substitution, forgetting to add the constant of integration, and making mistakes in the algebraic manipulation of the function.