Find electric potential due to charge distribution

In summary: This is simply the Pythagorean theorem.In summary, the magnitude of the electric field at position (a,a,a) is given by the formula absval(E)=V0/a(7^2+4^2+3^2)½.
David23454

Homework Statement

In a certain region, the electric potential due to a charge distribution
is given by the equation V (x, y, z) = (3x2y2+yz3-2z3x)V0/a4 where
a, x, y, and z are measured in meters and V and V0 are in volts. What
is the magnitude of the electric field at the position (x, y, z) = (a, a, a)?

Homework Equations

[/B]
E=-(dV/dx(i)+dV/dy(j)+dV/dz(k))

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Taking the negative derivative of V(x,y,z) and inputing "a" gives E=-V0/a(4,7,-3)

I would have thought that this was the complete solution, but the solution that goes on to absval(E)=V0/a(42+72+32)½
=V0/a(74)½

I haven't taken multi-variable calculus yet (it wasn't a requirement for the course), so I'm a little confused as to what's going on in the part where the absolute value of E is equal to V0/a4(2+72+32)½. Could someone explain to me how this works, specifically, why should I take the abs value of E, and add up the squares of the derivatives and then take their square root to get the answer? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are almost there.
Electric potential is a scalar. Electric field is a vector. The formula you are using is correct.The x-component of the electric field is ## -\frac {dV}{dx} ##, etc.
You applied the formula correctly and your answer (in a vector form) is correct. The problem asks you to find the magnitude of the field, that is the length of the vector. Yes, you square all the components, sum them up and take the square root.

Related to Find electric potential due to charge distribution

1. What is electric potential due to charge distribution?

Electric potential due to charge distribution is a measure of the electrical potential energy per unit charge at a point in space caused by a distribution of charges. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How do you calculate electric potential due to charge distribution?

To calculate electric potential due to charge distribution, you can use the equation V = k∑(qi/ri), where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, ∑(qi) is the sum of all charges, and ri is the distance from the point of interest to each charge.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is related to electric field by the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, ∇ is the gradient operator, and V is the electric potential. In other words, the electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential.

4. How does the electric potential change with distance from a point charge?

The electric potential decreases as the distance from a point charge increases. This is because the electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance from the charge, according to the equation V = kq/r.

5. Can the electric potential due to a charge distribution be negative?

Yes, the electric potential due to a charge distribution can be negative. This occurs when the charges in the distribution have opposite signs, resulting in a cancellation of electric potential at certain points in space. However, the overall electric potential of the system will still be positive, as it is a scalar quantity and the negative and positive values will cancel out.