Solve the Energy Homework Problem: Tarzan's Speed on a 30m Vine

• Thread starter Port
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation is about a student asking for help with a homework problem involving a swinging Tarzan and the calculation of his speed at the bottom of the swing. The student provides their attempt at solving the problem using the equation 1/2mv^2=mgh, but is unsure of how to incorporate the angle and length given in the problem. Another person advises the student to consider the geometry of the problem and find the difference in elevation between the lowest and highest points of the swing. The student successfully solves the problem and asks for help with another post.
Port
i started to do this engery problem we got for homework but when i tried to solve it i got the wrong answer. could someone please tell me how to begin this problem?

Tarzan swings on a 30m long vine initially inclined at an angle of 37 degree with the vertical. What is his speed at the bottom of the swing if he starts from rest??

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your opinion??Post your work...Read the "sticky".We don't nobody' s homework.We only help if people get stuck.But you haven't even started.

Daniel.

i did start it i used the equation 1/2mv^2=mgh but then since their is an angle i tried to do it that way but i got the wrong answer. i don't5 expect anyone to do my homework or else it would be useless to do.

The equation u've written is principially good,but it needs "polishing".Think/analyze the geometry of the problem and try to see which is "h" u need in that equation and its connection with the length and the angle the problem speaks about.

Daniel.

i tried using 30cos37 but that doesn't work so then i tried using 30sin37 and that doesn't work either so i wonder if i am doing something wrong

That "h" is the difference in heigh/elevation between the lowest point of the circular trajectory and the upper one.Assume that the "0" (origin) for the potential energy is chosen to be the lowest point of the trajectory.

Daniel.

so are u saying i should subtract what i get from the cos/sin from the 30?

thx that did work! Now could u help me on my other post please :biggrin:

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. It is present in everything and can be found in various forms such as heat, light, electricity, and motion.

2. What are the different types of energy?

The main types of energy are kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, and nuclear energy.

3. How can energy be converted from one form to another?

Energy can be converted from one form to another through various processes such as mechanical work, heating, and chemical reactions. For example, a wind turbine converts the kinetic energy of wind into electrical energy.

4. How is energy measured?

The unit for measuring energy is joules (J). Other common units include kilowatt-hours (kWh) for electrical energy and calories (cal) for thermal energy.

5. How can we conserve energy?

We can conserve energy by using it efficiently and reducing unnecessary energy consumption. This can be achieved through simple actions like turning off lights and appliances when not in use, using energy-efficient products, and adopting renewable energy sources.