Need help with homework problem - Archimede's principle

In summary, the problem involves finding the weight of a loaded truck by using Archimedes' principle and the buoyancy formula. By plugging in the volume of water displaced by the ferryboat, we can calculate the weight of the truck.
PHYclueless
Hello all. I am new to this site and was hoping someone could help me with a homework problem I'm trying to do.

Here's the problem:
A small ferryboat is 4.0m wide, 6.0m long. When a loaded truck pulls onto it, the boat sinks an additional 4.0cm into the river. What is the weight of the truck?

I found the area by taking 4m(6m)=24m^2. I understand I need to use the bouyancy formula B=PVG. In order to get the pressure would I take P=P+PGH?

The instructor said to take the volume and plug that into the result from Archimede's preinciple which says that the weight of the displaced fluid will equal the weight of the truck.

I don't understand what she means:confused: . Can anyone help?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The weight of the displaced water resulting from the truck should equal the weight of the truck, by Archimedes' principle.

The ferryboat experiences an additional upwards boyancy force, [itex]B[/itex], equal to the weight of the water it displaced as it sank deeper into the water when the truck pulled up onto it. This force is given by
[tex]B=mg[/tex]
where [itex]m[/itex] is the mass of the displaced water (by the ferryboat). We can use the density of water to calculate the mass of the displaced water:
[tex]\rho = \frac{m}{V}[/tex]
where [itex]V[/itex] is the volume of the displaced water - the volume of the ferry that sank into the water as the truck drove onto it. The mass is therefore given by
[tex]m=\rho V[/tex]
changing the original formula to
[tex]B=\rho Vg[/tex]

Thank you so much!

1. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that when an object is immersed in a fluid, it experiences an upward force equal to the weight of the fluid it displaces. This is also known as the buoyant force.

2. How can Archimedes' principle be applied to solve homework problems?

To apply Archimedes' principle to a homework problem, you will need to know the density of the fluid and the volume of the object that is immersed in the fluid. Then, using the formula Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity, you can calculate the buoyant force.

3. What is the significance of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is significant because it explains why objects float or sink in fluids. It is also used in various applications such as shipbuilding, determining the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and designing hot air balloons.

4. Are there any exceptions to Archimedes' principle?

Yes, there are some exceptions to Archimedes' principle. For example, when an object is partially submerged in a fluid, the buoyant force is only equal to the weight of the fluid that it displaces. Additionally, in a fluid with varying density, the buoyant force may change with depth.

5. Can Archimedes' principle be used for objects in air?

No, Archimedes' principle only applies to objects immersed in fluids. However, a similar principle called the Bernoulli's principle can be used to explain the behavior of objects in air, such as airplanes and birds in flight.