How Far Will You Travel Before Catching Up with the Biker?

• Thread starter Butterfly30
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the question is about finding the distance at which a car, starting from rest, will catch up with a biker who is moving at a constant speed. The equations V=V0+at and x=x0+v0+1/2at*2 can be used to solve for the time it takes for the car to catch up with the biker. Another approach is to find the equation for the distance between the car and the bike at time t and set it equal to zero to find the time when they are at the same distance.
Butterfly30
Need help with "motion" question..please!

Homework Statement

you are sitting in a car that is stopped. The moment a biker passes you, you start accelerating at 3 m/s2, while the bicycle continues to move along at a constant speed of 9 m/s. After what distance will you catch up with the biker?

From the question, the info I have is v=9m/s V0=0 a=3m/s*2

So I think I would put it into V=V0+at and solve for t. Then use all info including the new t into x=x0+v0+1/2at*2

I keep getting it wrong...any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

suppose after tsec , the biker is caught.
equate the displacements , and find necesary condition for quadratic to be real .

Draw the v-t diagram for your motion and the bikers motion.
Your motion is a triangle, the bikers is flat.
You need the time when the areas under the graphs (you know how to find the area of a triangle right?) are equal.

You could also find the equation for the distance between the bike and the car at time t, then find the time that this distance is zero.
If the bike goes at a constant speed v - what is the equation for it's displacement with time?
If the car has a uniform acceleration of a, from rest, what is the equation for it's displacement with time?
Subtract these two.

Off what you did:
So I think I would put it into V=V0+at and solve for t. Then use all info including the new t into x=x0+v0+1/2at*2
... presumably for the car: what did you use for the final speed of the car? (note: it will be going much faster than the bike when it catches up.)

Last edited:

Related to How Far Will You Travel Before Catching Up with the Biker?

1. What is motion?

Motion is defined as the change in position of an object over time, in relation to a fixed point.

2. What are the different types of motion?

The three main types of motion are linear motion (movement in a straight line), rotational motion (movement around an axis), and oscillatory motion (back and forth movement).

3. What factors affect the motion of an object?

The motion of an object is affected by its mass, the force acting on it, and any external influences such as friction or air resistance.

4. How is motion measured?

Motion is typically measured by its speed, which is the distance an object travels in a given amount of time. It can also be measured by its velocity, which includes direction, and its acceleration, which is the rate of change in velocity.

5. Why is understanding motion important in science?

Motion is a fundamental concept in science and is essential for understanding the physical world around us. It allows us to predict and explain the behavior of objects and phenomena, and it is the basis for many scientific principles and laws.