Need help with setting up 2 double integrals

• Thread starter cse63146
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the CDF of e^-y can be found by integrating the PDF from -∞ to x, which simplifies to 1-e^-x. This approach is different from setting up double integrals and may provide a simpler solution.
cse63146

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the CDF of e^-y.

The cdf of any f(x,y) is [tex]\int^x_{-\infty} \int^y_{-\infty} f(u,v) dv du[/tex]

where u and v are just dummy variables. I need to consider 2 cases: 1) 0<x<y and 2) 0 < y < x. In other words I need to do 2 double integrals using the general set up of a CDF.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\int^x_0\int^y_x e^{-v} dv du [/tex] This case is when 0<x<y

[tex]\int^x_0\int^x_y e^{-v} dv du [/tex] This case is when 0<y<x

Did I set these up correctly? Because a friend of mine had 2 different answers, and I made a mistake somewhere. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question regarding finding the CDF of e^-y. It looks like you have set up the integrals correctly for the two cases. However, I would suggest using a different approach to find the CDF.

Since we are dealing with a continuous random variable (e^-y), the CDF can be found by integrating the probability density function (PDF). In this case, the PDF is e^-y and the integration limits will be from -∞ to x.

So, the CDF for e^-y can be written as F(x) = ∫e^-y dy from -∞ to x. This can be simplified to 1-e^-x, as shown below:

F(x) = ∫e^-y dy from -∞ to x

= e^-x - e^-(-∞)

= e^-x - 0

= 1-e^-x

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.Scientist

1. How do I identify the limits of integration for a double integral?

The limits of integration for a double integral are determined by the boundaries of the region over which the integration is being performed. This can be determined by sketching the region and identifying the x and y values at the boundaries.

2. How do I set up a double integral for a rectangular region?

To set up a double integral for a rectangular region, the limits of integration for the inner integral (typically the y values) will be constant, while the limits for the outer integral (typically the x values) will vary. The integrand will also be a function of both x and y.

3. What is the difference between a double integral and a single integral?

A single integral integrates a single variable over an interval, while a double integral integrates a function of two variables over a region in the xy-plane. This allows for the calculation of volume, surface area, and other quantities in two-dimensional space.

4. How do I determine the order of integration for a double integral?

The order of integration for a double integral depends on the shape of the region being integrated over. In general, it is more efficient to integrate over the inner variable first, and then the outer variable. This can be determined by sketching the region and considering which variable changes first as you move from one boundary to another.

5. Can I use a double integral to find the average value of a function over a region?

Yes, the average value of a function over a region can be found using a double integral. The integral will involve dividing the function by the area of the region, and then integrating over that region. This will give the average value of the function over the specified region.