How Does Wavelength Change When Water Waves Cross from Deep to Shallow Water?

In summary, the question asks for the new wavelength of water waves in a ripple tank after crossing from the deep to shallow part. The angle between the waves and the boundary changes from 25 degrees to 17 degrees. Using Snell's Law, the new wavelength is calculated to be 3.59cm. The original poster is unsure if this answer is correct and is seeking confirmation.
chester89
The question reads:

"Water waves in the deep part of a ripple tank have a wavelength of 5.2cm. They approach the boundary where the shallow part begins with an angle of 25degrees between the waves and the boundary, but after they have crossed the boundary, this angle has dropped to 17degrees. What is their new wavelength"

I just have no idea where to start. Could someone please help me or atleast give me a hint to how I should start this question? I'm so lost. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Have you ever heard of Snell's Law?

No I haven't but I searched it up in google and it didn't seem to help me very much with this question. I managed to come up with an answer of 3.59cm but I don't know if it's right or not. Could someone please solve this question and confirm that my answer is correct?

Thanks.

PLEASE, I really need help! :cry:

1. What is wave motion?

Wave motion is the transfer of energy through a medium, such as water or air, in the form of periodic disturbances called waves.

2. How is wave motion different from particle motion?

Wave motion involves the movement of energy through a medium, while particle motion involves the physical displacement of particles in a specific direction.

3. What factors affect wave motion?

The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, as well as the frequency and amplitude of the wave, can affect wave motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of wave motion?

Examples of wave motion include ocean waves, sound waves, and electromagnetic waves such as light and radio waves.

5. How can we measure wave motion?

Wave motion can be measured through various parameters, such as wavelength, frequency, and velocity. These can be measured using specialized equipment, such as rulers, oscilloscopes, and Doppler radar.