Computer screen keep flickering when starting up windows

In summary, the individual is experiencing flickering on their computer screen when starting up Windows and when opening certain programs, particularly games. They have also experienced their computer hanging and receiving an alert about a drop in +3.3Volt while in BIOS. They suspect it may be due to a faulty graphic card or a failing PSU. They are currently using a 240W PSU and are wondering if replacing it with a higher power PSU will cause any damage to their computer. It is recommended that they replace their PSU with a 450watt one, especially if they have a newer graphics card such as an nVidia GeForce FX 5600. They plan to purchase a new PSU locally and have successfully solved the problem.
darkar
Recently, my computer screen keep flickering when starting up windows, but fine when in the Windows. However, the fickering will start again if i open some programes, especially games.

Just now, my PC hang again. When i in bios, i was alerted that my +3.3Volt has droped.

What is the problem?

My graphic card's error? or my P.S.U. is failing?

Btw, i m now currently using a 240 W PSU. I wonder can i just replace it with a higher power PSU. Will it cause any damge to my com?

Thank You.

Computer science news on Phys.org
You need a better powersupply for sure! If you have any of the newer cards you should have at least a 450watt powersupply. What kind of video card do you have?

nVidia GeForce FX 5600

yes you most definintly need a new powersupply in my opinion, do you know where to purchase one localy, or you wanting to do this over the internet?

Oh, i can get it locally. Thx. I will try to replace this psu n see if the problem will be solve.

Okay! The problem seems to be solved. :P

Thx everyone.

What could be causing my computer screen to flicker when I start up Windows?

There are several possible causes for a flickering computer screen during Windows startup. It could be due to a faulty or outdated graphics driver, a corrupted operating system, a hardware issue, or a software conflict. It's best to troubleshoot the issue to determine the exact cause.

How can I fix a flickering screen on Windows startup?

First, try updating your graphics driver and running a virus scan to rule out any software-related issues. If that doesn't work, you can try booting into safe mode to see if the flickering persists, which could indicate a hardware issue. If the issue only occurs during startup, you may need to perform a system restore or reset your computer to factory settings.

Is a flickering screen during Windows startup a sign of a serious problem?

Not necessarily. In most cases, a flickering screen during Windows startup is caused by a minor software or driver issue that can be easily resolved. However, if the flickering persists or is accompanied by other symptoms, it could be a sign of a more serious hardware problem that requires professional assistance.

Can I prevent my computer screen from flickering during Windows startup?

Yes, in some cases. If the flickering is caused by an outdated graphics driver, updating it can help prevent the issue from recurring. It's also important to regularly update your operating system and run virus scans to prevent any software conflicts that could lead to a flickering screen.

Should I seek professional help if my computer screen keeps flickering during Windows startup?

If you've tried troubleshooting the issue yourself and the screen continues to flicker, it may be best to seek professional help. A computer technician can diagnose and fix any hardware or software issues that may be causing the problem, ensuring that your computer runs smoothly and without any flickering screens.