Solve Force Equation: Steps & Explanation to Get .83N

• Thread starter dowz0r
  • Start date
In summary, the equation given is F = 8.99 X 10^9 X N X m^2/C^2 (4.8 X 10^-6C)^2 / (.50m)^2. The answer should be .83N and the best approach to solving this equation is to evaluate each term separately before multiplying them together. The second and third terms are (4.8 X 10^-6C)^2 and (.50m)^2, respectively. Plugging the equation into a calculator will give the correct answer.
dowz0r
I just need help with this force equation. I've plugged everything and I know the answer, I just can't get the steps right, and I want to know what I'm doing wrong.

Equation:

F = 8.99 X 10^9 X N X m^2/C^2 (4.8 X 10^-6C)^2 / (.50m)^2

Might be kinda hard for you guys to explain the steps, but I'll try my best to understand.

The answer should be .83N.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
dowz0r said:
F = 8.99 X 109 X N X m^2/C^2 (4.8 X 10^-6C)^2 / (.50m)^2
The answer should be .83N.
You have three terms that are being multiplied together. It's best to evaluate each of those terms first, then multiply them as the final step.

The terms are
8.99 X 109 N m2/C2
(4.8 X 10-6 C)2
(0.50 m)2
The first term is just what it says. What values do you get for the 2nd and 3rd terms?

Well, I just found out you could plug this into a calculator and that it would work fine, and it does. I appreciate you taking the time to help me, though :).

1. How do I solve a force equation?

To solve a force equation, you need to use the formula F = ma where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. You need to plug in the given values and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What are the steps to solve a force equation?

The steps to solve a force equation are:

1. Identify the given values and unknown variable.
  2. Write down the formula F = ma.
  3. Plug in the given values.
  4. Solve for the unknown variable.
  5. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a force equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a force equation. However, it is recommended to show your work and use the calculator as a tool to check your answer.

4. What does the unit of force (N) represent?

The unit of force (N) represents the amount of force required to accelerate 1 kilogram of mass at a rate of 1 meter per second squared.

5. How do I know if my answer is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it satisfies the given values. You can also use a calculator to verify your answer.