Need recommendation on math books for phd in electrical engineering

It covers the mathematical background for solving partial differential equations, which may be useful for analyzing circuits with varying parameters.In summary, for those in the early stage of a Ph.D. program in electrical engineering, it is important to have a strong understanding of math. Basic math courses may not be enough, and it is recommended to seek advice from older students and your advisor. Some helpful books for understanding the application of math in electrical engineering include "Applied Complex Variable" by Yue Kuen Kwok and "Partial Differential Equation with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problem" by Nakhle H. Asmar.
dl332
Hi,

I'm in the early stage of my ph.d program in electrical engineering and I have realized I need to know more math (I'm in circuits).

Problem is that I have no idea where to even begin. In my undergraduate, I took the basic math courses (calculus , DEQ, linear algebra) but these aren't really helping me get very far.

Any recommendation on courses / textbook would be appreciated. I am planning to study a subject alone.

For other fellow elec.engineers, the math that I am mostly interested in are the ones we use in PLL, odcillator, ADC, filter, and noise.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend speaking with older students in your same specialty at your university and of course your advisor. Those people will know best what math you need to survive your upcoming classes, exams, and research.
jason

Try searching for these books. "Applied Complex Variable by Yue Kuen Kwok, Cambridge University Press." The mathematics level should be suitable for your Phd level and it explains the application of complex variables in electrical circuits.

Plus, you can try "Partial Differential Equation with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problem by Nakhle H. Asmar, Pearson International Edition'.

1. What are the best math books for a PhD in electrical engineering?

The best math books for a PhD in electrical engineering will depend on your specific research focus and interests. However, some popular options include "Linear Algebra and Its Applications" by Gilbert Strang, "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig, and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas.

2. Are there any specific math topics that I should focus on for my PhD in electrical engineering?

It is recommended to have a strong foundation in linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations for a PhD in electrical engineering. Additionally, topics such as probability theory, complex analysis, and numerical methods may also be relevant depending on your research area.

3. How can I improve my math skills for my PhD in electrical engineering?

To improve your math skills, you can practice solving problems regularly, attend workshops or seminars on relevant topics, and seek guidance from professors or peers. You can also use online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare to supplement your learning.

4. Are there any resources for self-study in math for a PhD in electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many resources available for self-study in math for a PhD in electrical engineering. Some popular options include textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. You can also join online forums or study groups to discuss and solve problems with other students.

5. How important is a strong math background for a PhD in electrical engineering?

A strong math background is essential for a PhD in electrical engineering as it is the foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in the field. A good understanding of math concepts will also help you in developing and analyzing mathematical models for your research projects.