1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need recommendation on math books for phd in electrical engineering

1. Sep 11, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I'm in the early stage of my ph.d program in electrical engineering and I have realized I need to know more math (I'm in circuits).

Problem is that I have no idea where to even begin. In my undergraduate, I took the basic math courses (calculus , DEQ, linear algebra) but these aren't really helping me get very far.

Any recommendation on courses / textbook would be appreciated. I am planning to study a subject alone.

For other fellow elec.engineers, the math that I am mostly interested in are the ones we use in PLL, odcillator, ADC, filter, and noise.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2014 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would recommend speaking with older students in your same specialty at your university and of course your advisor. Those people will know best what math you need to survive your upcoming classes, exams, and research.
    jason

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3
    Try searching for these books. "Applied Complex Variable by Yue Kuen Kwok, Cambridge University Press." The mathematics level should be suitable for your Phd level and it explains the application of complex variables in electrical circuits.

Plus, you can try "Partial Differential Equation with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problem by Nakhle H. Asmar, Pearson International Edition'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted