Is Mechanical Engineering Right for a Passionate Motor Sports Enthusiast?

• Thread starter C268
  • Start date
In summary, you seem to have a lot of enthusiasm for engineering and it sounds like you are prepared for the challenges it will pose. Despite some discouraging comments from others, I believe you can succeed in this field.
C268
I am currently a freshman in college going into Mechanical Engineering. To give some background of my self, I have been involved with motor sports my whole life (raced and ride motocross), always been very interested in working on my truck, and I have been interested in engineering since I was young. In high school I took Calc 1 and part of Calc 2, and finished with a B+ (.03% away from an A). I am taking an Intro to Engineering class already and it seems really cool and exciting. Even physics is interesting to me and I find a sense of accomplishment in completing a difficult problem that takes 30 minutes to do. I don't mind hard work, at all, all though I hope to still have time for my girlfriend, and have some sort of life. However, I seem to be very discouraged by all the people who tell me how "impossible" and difficult ME is. I am not sure how to take it and just looking for some encouragement every once in a while instead of all these negative comments that other students in other majors and people in general state. With that said, any comments, suggestions, encouraging comments?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
When I was at college, mechanical was generally considered to be the "best" kind of engineering major. We tended to look down on the civil/electrical/etc. students as being inferior.

You seem to have plenty of math background, so I woudln't worry. It'll probably be easier for you than people who can't get engaged in a 30 minute problem.

Unrest said:
When I was at college, mechanical was generally considered to be the "best" kind of engineering major. We tended to look down on the civil/electrical/etc. students as being inferior.

You seem to have plenty of math background, so I woudln't worry. It'll probably be easier for you than people who can't get engaged in a 30 minute problem.

Alright well thanks for the info and help!

Do you plan on working in the motocross industry?

Camron201 said:
Do you plan on working in the motocross industry?

That would be awesome, but I would have to be a damn good engineer, probably something I could possibly get into after years of experience, but I am not completely sure

FAQ: Is Mechanical Engineering Right for a Passionate Motor Sports Enthusiast?

What is the importance of encouragement?

The importance of encouragement lies in its ability to motivate and uplift individuals. It can help boost self-confidence, increase productivity, and foster a positive mindset.

What are some ways to encourage others?

Some ways to encourage others include offering words of affirmation, providing constructive feedback, showing support and appreciation, and setting a positive example.

How can I find motivation and encouragement during difficult times?

During difficult times, it can be helpful to seek support from loved ones, practice self-care, set achievable goals, and focus on the positives. Additionally, seeking guidance from a therapist or counselor can also provide valuable encouragement.

Is self-encouragement important?

Yes, self-encouragement is important as it allows individuals to develop a positive and resilient mindset. It can also help individuals stay motivated and overcome challenges.

How can I encourage myself to reach my goals?

To encourage yourself to reach your goals, it can be helpful to break them down into smaller, achievable tasks, celebrate your progress, and remind yourself of the reasons why you set the goal in the first place. Seeking support and accountability from others can also be beneficial.