Need some help with differential equations for mechanics.

In summary: You can use partial fractions for this.In summary, the conversation discusses two problems involving differential equations. The first problem involves finding the position as a function of time using an equation involving velocity and force. The second problem involves a disc moving along a rough surface with friction and linear air resistance. The conversation provides guidance on how to solve these problems using various mathematical techniques such as substitution and partial fractions.
uber_kim

Homework Statement

I'm having problems with some differential equations, just need to know where I'm going wrong.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) mv[itex]\stackrel{dv}{dx}[/itex]=F(x)
mvdv=F(x)dx
m∫vdv=∫F(x)dx
v^2=v[itex]v^{2}_{0}[/itex]+[itex]\stackrel{2}{m}[/itex]∫F(x)dx

Setting F(x)=-kx
v^2=[itex]v^{2}_{0}[/itex]-[itex]\stackrel{k}{m}[/itex](x^2-[itex]x^{2}_{0}[/itex])

I then have to find the position as a function of time..
[itex]\stackrel{dx}{dt}[/itex]=[itex]\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-\stackrel{k}{m}(x^2-x^{2}_{0}}[/itex]
dx/[itex]\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-\stackrel{k}{m}(x^2-x^{2}_{0}}[/itex]=dt

I'm not sure how to do that integral, though, or if that's even right.

b) This problem involves a disc moving along a rough surface, so it has friction (F) and linear air resistance (-bv) acting on it.

ma=-bv+F
mdv/dt=-bv+F
-[itex]\stackrel{m}{b}[/itex]∫dv/v=∫Fdt
-[itex]\stackrel{m}{b}[/itex]ln([itex]\stackrel{v}{v_0}[/itex]=Ft
e^(-[itex]\stackrel{m}{b}[/itex])v/v_o=e^(Ft)
v=v_0e^(-Fbt/m)

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a), transform the integrand to this form: ## \displaystyle \frac {a} {\sqrt {1 - (cx)^2 } } ##, then use the substitution ## u = cx ##.

For b), you are not doing it correctly. You should have gotten ## \displaystyle \int \frac {dv} {F - bv}##.

1. What are differential equations used for in mechanics?

Differential equations are used to mathematically model and describe the motion of objects in mechanics. They help us understand how forces and motion are related and how they change over time.

2. How do I solve differential equations for mechanics?

The process for solving differential equations in mechanics involves understanding the initial conditions and using mathematical techniques such as separation of variables or substitution to find a solution. It can be a complex process and may require advanced mathematical knowledge.

3. Are there any real-life applications of differential equations in mechanics?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of differential equations in mechanics. They are used in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to model and predict the behavior of various systems, including mechanical systems like cars, airplanes, and satellites.

4. Can I use computer software to solve differential equations for mechanics?

Yes, there are many computer software programs and applications that can solve differential equations for mechanics. These programs often use numerical methods to approximate solutions and can be useful for complex or time-consuming calculations.

5. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations in mechanics?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations in mechanics include separation of variables, substitution, and using specific formulas for different types of equations (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.). It's important to have a solid understanding of these techniques and when to use them in order to successfully solve differential equations in mechanics.