Need to find the charge of this capacitor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter letsgo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor Charge
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
letsgo
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given,

MTDnC.png


What is the charge on C2 (the highlighted capacitor).
The answer is supposed to be Q2 = 5 uC


Homework Equations


C=Q/V
Loop Rule?


The Attempt at a Solution


What I did, is using the loop rule on the smaller loop, I set up
V2 - V3 - Vof C2 = 0
6 V - 4 V = Vof C2
2 V = Vof C2

So since,
Vof C2 = Q2/C2

Then,
Q2 = (2 V)(5.0 uF)

And Q = 1.0x10-5 C, however that isn't the answer... It's supposed to be 5 uC.

Solution
Wow, I just figured it out, stupid mistake. It should be V2 + V3 - Vof C2 = 0. That fixes it.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well done - sometimes telling it so someone else focusses your mind and you see what went wrong.