Need to find the second derivative of:

Keep it up, you're doing great! In summary, to find the second derivative of f(x)= 1/125(e5x)(5x-2), you need to apply the product rule twice and simplify to get f''(x) = \frac{1}{5}e^{5x}(5x - 2) + \frac{2}{5}e^{5x}. Keep practicing and you'll master these rules in no time!
619snake
f(x)= 1/125(e5x)(5x-2)I think this is the first derivative but I ain't good at math and gives me some headaches I used the product rule.. but still I have doubts =(

f '(x)= 1/125(5)(e5x)(5x-2) + (5)(1/125(e5x)

Please help me! :cry:
I need to understand how to do this

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have [tex] f(x) = \frac{1}{125}e^{5x}(5x - 2), [/tex] you need to apply the product rule.

Given [tex] f(x) = g(x)h(x), [/tex]

[tex] f'(x) = g'(x)h(x) + g(x)h'(x). [/tex]

And you'll need the product rule again to find f''(x). Also, I'd leave the constant 1/125 out in front while taking the derivatives until the end.

Thanks Raskolnikov! Now I only need to identify which rule I need to use in each case.

619snake said:
f '(x)= 1/125(5)(e5x)(5x-2) + (5)(1/125(e5x)

Yep, you got it right (though I think you're overloading on parentheses :P)! For the second derivative, you have to use the product rule again on the first term since it has both a factor of e^5x and a factor of (5x - 2). However, you don't need the product rule for the 2nd term since it's just e^5x.

Try to find f''(x). Just post whatever answer you get or where you're getting stuck, and I'll help you from there if you need.

I'm not sure about this... as I said.. I haven't mastered this rules :cry: and is getting really messed up

f"(x)= ([tex]\frac{1}{125}[/tex])(25)e[tex]^{5x}[/tex](5x-2) + 5([tex]\frac{1}{125}[/tex](5)e[tex]^{5x}[/tex]) + ([tex]\frac{1}{125}[/tex](5)e[tex]^{5x}[/tex])...

I don't know... think I got confused :confused:

Close! You forgot another factor of 5 on the last term. Don't worry, you'll get better with practice.

So it should simplify to:

[tex] f''(x) = \frac{1}{5}e^{5x}(5x - 2) + \frac{2}{5}e^{5x}. [/tex]

What is the second derivative?

The second derivative is the rate of change of the first derivative. It measures the curvature of a function at a specific point.

Why do we need to find the second derivative?

Finding the second derivative can help us understand the behavior of a function. It can tell us if a function is increasing or decreasing, and if it is concave up or concave down.

How do you find the second derivative?

To find the second derivative, you must first find the first derivative of the function. Then, you can find the derivative of the first derivative using the same rules of differentiation.

What is the notation for the second derivative?

The notation for the second derivative is f''(x) or d²y/dx². It is read as "f double prime of x" or "the second derivative of y with respect to x."

What is the significance of the second derivative?

The second derivative helps us determine the concavity and inflection points of a function. It also helps us analyze the rate of change of the rate of change of a function, which can be useful in many real-world applications.