Need to find the tension at T in left-hand cable

In summary, the conversation revolved around someone seeking help with a physics problem involving finding tension and angles in a cable system. They discussed using equations and solving for unknown variables. The conversation also shifted to another physics problem involving an inclined plane and finding the coefficient of kinetic friction. Eventually, the person seeking help was able to figure out the problems with the assistance of others in the conversation.
bikerkid
Hello. I'm new here and in need of some help.

I have a problem here in which two cables are supporting a weight of 631 N. The right-hand cable has a tension of 680 N and and makes an angle of 32 degrees with the ceiling. The left-hand cable has a tension of T and makes an angle of X at the wall.

I need to find the tension at T in left-hand cable in respect to the wall.

I also need to find the angle that the left-hand cable makes with respect to the wall. I thought it should be 58 degrees, but apparently that is not correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi bikerkid. try to write out these equations:

[tex]\Sigma{F_x} = ma_x[/tex] which becomes [tex]\Sigma{F_x} = 0[/tex]

and [tex]\Sigma{F_y} = ma_y[/tex] which becomes [tex]\Sigma{F_y}=0[/tex].

So if T is the tension of the unknown then the vertical component is Tsin(X). Horizontal component is Tcos(X).

Thank you. I got the first part right. I just don't know what to do for the second part.

bikerkid said:
Thank you. I got the first part right. I just don't know what to do for the second part.

cool. can you show how you got the first part? that way it'll be easier to show what you need to do next.

I found the horizontal, vertical, and hypotenuse of the known side. Then, I knew that the unknown horizontal was equivalent to the known horizontal. I knew the forces had to add up to zero, due to it being in equilibrium, so I solved for the unknown tension and found it to be 637.029 N. I solved for the other unknown perpendicular just do so and found that to be 270.6557549 N. I thought this angle would be arc tan, but that is not working. I don't know what to do now.

Can anyone help me?

bikerkid said:
I found the horizontal, vertical, and hypotenuse of the known side. Then, I knew that the unknown horizontal was equivalent to the known horizontal. I knew the forces had to add up to zero, due to it being in equilibrium, so I solved for the unknown tension and found it to be 637.029 N. I solved for the other unknown perpendicular just do so and found that to be 270.6557549 N. I thought this angle would be arc tan, but that is not working. I don't know what to do now.

it's arctan(opposite/adjacent)... or arcsin(opposite/hypotenesue) = arcsin(270.65575/637.029) = 25.1 degrees. Is this what you got?

Yeah, that's what I got, but it says the answer is incorrect, even though it says that the force I got was correct. It makes no sense.

bikerkid said:
Yeah, that's what I got, but it says the answer is incorrect, even though it says that the force I got was correct. It makes no sense.

Oh... it asks for the angle with the wall... I thought the second cable was connected to the ceiling also... I think then the answer is supposed to be 90-25.1 = 64.9 degrees

Hooray. I was going to try that days ago to see if that could be right, but didn't want to bother wasting one of my guesses on something that probably wouldn't be right. Thanks for your help. I'll probably need some more help tomorrow. Haha.

There is another problem that I don't really understand.

An 8kg block is released from rest on an inclined plane and moves 2.2m during the next 3.4s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for the incline?

Last edited:
If someone can help, that would be really nice. I need the answer to this question sometime before 12:00 tonight (it's 8:00 now) to get credit for it.

bikerkid said:
There is another problem that I don't really understand.

An 8kg block is released from rest on an inclined plane and moves 2.2m during the next 3.4s. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction for the incline?

Did you find the acceleration? What are the forces acting on the block along the plane?

a = .3806228374 m/s^2

There are no other forces acting on it.

bikerkid said:
a = .3806228374 m/s^2

There are no other forces acting on it.

yes, that's the correct acceleration.

There are 2 forces... what are they? 1 is friction... what's the other?

Weight? The block has a mass of 8kg. It doesn't say any other forces.

bikerkid said:
Weight? The block has a mass of 8kg. It doesn't say any other forces.

Yes... divide the weight into 2 components... what is the component along the plane... what is the component perpendicular to the plane...

Get the equations:

[tex]\Sigma{F_x} = ma_x[/tex]

[tex]\Sigma{F_y} = ma_y[/tex]

you already got [tex]a_x = .3806228374[/tex]. and ay = 0.

72.59N in the Y and 29.3692N in the X ?

Last edited:
bikerkid said:
72.59N in the Y and 29.3692N in the X ?

What is exactly 72.58 and what exactly is 29.3692N? can you write the equations out...

W = mg
W = 8(9.8)
W = 78.4

I did F perpendicular as 78.4cos22 and found that to be 72.6912.

I then did 78.4sin22 and found that to be 29.3692.

Alright, I figured it out using two formulas I found online. Thanks for your help.

bikerkid said:
Alright, I figured it out using two formulas I found online. Thanks for your help.

cool. good job!

1. What is tension and why is it important?

Tension is the force exerted on an object by a stretched cable or rope. It is important because it helps us understand how forces are distributed and can affect the stability and movement of objects.

2. How is tension calculated in a cable system?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = F * cos(theta), where T is the tension, F is the force applied, and theta is the angle between the cable and the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable can be affected by the weight of the object it is supporting, the angle of the cable, and the strength and elasticity of the material used in the cable.

4. How do you find the tension in a left-hand cable?

To find the tension in a left-hand cable, you need to know the force applied to the cable, the angle of the cable, and the strength and elasticity of the material. Then, you can use the formula T = F * cos(theta) to calculate the tension.

5. What happens if the tension in a cable is too high?

If the tension in a cable is too high, it can cause the cable to stretch or even break. This can lead to the collapse or failure of the structure or system that the cable is supporting. It is important to carefully calculate and monitor tension levels in cable systems to ensure their safety and stability.