Need to interview an Engineer who uses Sketches

In summary, an engineer who uses sketches to convey ideas to others typically starts with a pencil and paper, and may or may not use a ruler. They often start by scribbling ideas and then redraw the sketch for their CAD operator to create a more polished version. For client sketches, a ruler may be used, but not always. It is also recommended to research CAD programs and drafting methods before conducting an interview with an engineer.
Student7

Homework Statement

I have to interview an engineer who uses sketches to convey ideas to others. I need to write a small essay based upon the response from such an engineer

Homework Equations

What tools do you use when Sketching? What type of sketch do you generally start with?

How do you generally start sketching?

The Attempt at a Solution

Any other helpful insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
why not contact a civil engineer in your area that does home inspections? Sometimes they sketch out the house layout either on paper or using some CAD software. You also might be able to find a mechanical engineer from the telephone book that would help in your quest.

If you do go this route then you need to think about what you want to ask and do some research like investigating CAD programs or how people do drafting so you'll sound somewhat knowledgeable. You don't want to waste the engineer's time and you do want to make sure you thank them taking time out to be interviewed.

What tools do you use when Sketching? What type of sketch do you generally start with?

I generally start with a pencil and a piece of paper. I honestly rarely use a ruler. A squiggly line looks the same to a CAD operator as it does a perfectly straight line made by a ruler...why waste time?

How do you generally start sketching?

The Attempt at a Solution

Any other helpful insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just start scribbling any idea I can come up with. Then I redraw it again so my CAD guy can read legible writing and understand what I'm talking about. He takes my "vague" sketch and turns it into a masterpiece worthy of issuing to a real client.

If it is a sketch for a client, I may actually use a ruler, but not necessarily. I can do CAD myself, but clients don't want to pay high engineer rates when they can pay lower CAD operator rates.

For privacy and anti-phishing reasons, interview threads are not allowed at the PF. Sorry, this thread is closed.

I understand the importance of clear and effective communication in any field, especially in engineering. Sketches are an essential tool for engineers to convey their ideas to others in a visual and concise manner. To gain further insight into this valuable skill, I had the opportunity to interview an engineer who regularly uses sketches in their work.

When asked about the tools they use when sketching, the engineer mentioned using a variety of instruments such as pencils, pens, markers, and rulers. They also emphasized the importance of having a good quality eraser and a sketchbook with gridded or dotted pages for accuracy. However, they also mentioned that in today's digital age, there are many software programs available for sketching, and they often use those as well.

In terms of the type of sketch the engineer generally starts with, they explained that it depends on the project and the audience. For internal discussions or brainstorming, they may start with rough hand-drawn sketches to quickly capture and share ideas. However, for more formal presentations or client meetings, they prefer to use digital sketches that are more polished and can be easily shared and edited.

When it comes to starting a sketch, the engineer emphasized the importance of understanding the purpose and audience. They begin by identifying the key elements that need to be communicated and then use basic shapes and lines to create a rough layout. This allows them to quickly capture their ideas and make adjustments as needed. They also mentioned the value of continuously refining and revising their sketches until they accurately convey the desired message.

Overall, this interview highlighted the importance of sketches in the engineering field and the various tools and techniques used by engineers to create effective sketches. It also emphasized the importance of understanding the purpose and audience when starting a sketch. I believe that sketching is an essential skill for engineers and plays a crucial role in the successful execution of projects.

1. How do engineers use sketches in their work?

Engineers use sketches as a visual representation of their ideas and designs. It helps them to communicate their concepts and plans to others, such as team members, clients, or stakeholders. Sketches can also be used for problem-solving, brainstorming, and as a starting point for more detailed designs.

2. What are the benefits of using sketches in engineering?

Sketches allow engineers to quickly and easily visualize their ideas and make changes or revisions as needed. They can also save time and resources by identifying potential design flaws before moving on to more detailed designs. Additionally, sketches can serve as a record of the design process and can be used for future reference or modifications.

3. How do engineers incorporate sketches into the design process?

Sketches are often used in the early stages of the design process to explore and develop ideas. They can then be used to create more detailed drawings, models, or prototypes. Engineers may also use sketches throughout the design process to communicate and refine their ideas with others.

4. What tools do engineers use to create sketches?

Engineers may use a variety of tools to create sketches, such as pencils, pens, markers, or digital drawing software. Some may prefer to sketch by hand, while others may use a combination of hand-drawn and digital sketches. The tools used may vary depending on the engineer's personal preference and the type of sketch being created.

5. How do engineers ensure the accuracy of their sketches?

To ensure the accuracy of their sketches, engineers may use tools such as rulers, protractors, or drafting software to create precise measurements and angles. They may also refer to design specifications or consult with other engineers for feedback and verification of their sketches. As the design evolves, engineers may also update and revise their sketches to reflect any changes or improvements.