1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need to interview an Engineer who uses Sketches

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to interview an engineer who uses sketches to convey ideas to others. I need to write a small essay based upon the response from such an engineer

2. Relevant equations
    What tools do you use when Sketching? What type of sketch do you generally start with?

How do you generally start sketching?
    3. The attempt at a solution Any other helpful insights would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

why not contact a civil engineer in your area that does home inspections? Sometimes they sketch out the house layout either on paper or using some CAD software. You also might be able to find a mechanical engineer from the telephone book that would help in your quest.

If you do go this route then you need to think about what you want to ask and do some research like investigating CAD programs or how people do drafting so you'll sound somewhat knowledgeable. You don't want to waste the engineer's time and you do want to make sure you thank them taking time out to be interviewed.

4. May 5, 2014 #3

psparky

Gold Member

I generally start with a pencil and a piece of paper. I honestly rarely use a ruler. A squiggly line looks the same to a CAD operator as it does a perfectly straight line made by a ruler....why waste time?

I just start scribbling any idea I can come up with. Then I redraw it again so my CAD guy can read legible writing and understand what I'm talking about. He takes my "vague" sketch and turns it into a masterpiece worthy of issuing to a real client.

If it is a sketch for a client, I may actually use a ruler, but not necessarily. I can do CAD myself, but clients don't want to pay high engineer rates when they can pay lower CAD operator rates.

5. May 5, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

For privacy and anti-phishing reasons, interview threads are not allowed at the PF. Sorry, this thread is closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook