• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Negation AUB

• Thread starter mharten1
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Construct the negation of each statement below without using the fol-
lowing symbols: ∩, ∪, ⊆, ⊇, ⊂, ⊃, \, △, and =.

x ∈ A U B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I'm completely lost. =\

Answers and Replies

Zondrina
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Construct the negation of each statement below without using the fol-
lowing symbols: ∩, ∪, ⊆, ⊇, ⊂, ⊃, \, △, and =.

x ∈ A U B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I'm completely lost. =\
Well, my guess is you want to negate the statement : x ∈ AUB.

This statement means that either x is in A or x is in B. How do you NEGATE this proposition?

Well, my guess is you want to negate the statement : x ∈ AUB.

This statement means that either x is in A or x is in B. How do you NEGATE this proposition?
X is not in A or B? How do I symbolically write that? Because I can't use the union symbol. I initially thought that but it seemed too simple.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
X is not in A or B? How do I symbolically write that? Because I can't use the union symbol. I initially thought that but it seemed too simple.
The negation operator is written as : [itex]\neg[/itex]

The negation operator is written as : [itex]\neg[/itex]
Ok, that makes sense. But I can't use the union symbol, and that's where I'm really confused. Could I say ~(A v B)? ~A ^ ~B by demorgans law.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
Ok, that makes sense. But I can't use the union symbol, and that's where I'm really confused.
Well you're not being very clear about what statements you're trying to negate. Are they phrases that you haven't posted or is it actually the statement : x∈AUB. If you're trying to negate x∈AUB, then you can take for granted that the question is ASKING you to negate that statement, you're simply just not allowed to use the union symbol in doing it.

Well you're not being very clear about what statements you're trying to negate. Are they phrases that you haven't posted or is it actually the statement : x∈AUB. If you're trying to negate x∈AUB, then you can take for granted that the question is ASKING you to negate that statement, you're simply just not allowed to use the union symbol in doing it.
It's actually the statement x ∈ AUB.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
It's actually the statement x ∈ AUB.
Like I've already stated before then, if x ∈ AUB then either x is in A or x is in B. How would you negate this proposition, aka write the opposite of what this means.

Like I've already stated before then, if x ∈ AUB then either x is in A or x is in B. How would you negate this proposition, aka write the opposite of what this means.
I would do ~(A v B), which simplifies to ~A ^ ~B. But as far as I know A and B are sets so I can't use those symbols.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
I would do ~(A v B), which simplifies to ~A ^ ~B. But as far as I know A and B are sets so I can't use those symbols.
[itex]\neg[/itex]((x is in A)[itex]\vee[/itex](x is in B))

The fact that A and B are sets makes no difference. Think about what I wrote there.