Negation of AUB: Constructing without Symbols | Homework Help

• Thread starter mharten1
  • Start date
In summary: I said that the negation operator is written as : \neg. The fact that A and B are sets makes no difference. Think about what I wrote there. I said that the negation operator is written as : \neg.
mharten1

Homework Statement

Construct the negation of each statement below without using the fol-
lowing symbols: ∩, ∪, ⊆, ⊇, ⊂, ⊃, \, △, and =.

x ∈ A U B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I'm completely lost. =\

Physics news on Phys.org
mharten1 said:

Homework Statement

Construct the negation of each statement below without using the fol-
lowing symbols: ∩, ∪, ⊆, ⊇, ⊂, ⊃, \, △, and =.

x ∈ A U B

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start. I'm completely lost. =\

Well, my guess is you want to negate the statement : x ∈ AUB.

This statement means that either x is in A or x is in B. How do you NEGATE this proposition?

Zondrina said:
Well, my guess is you want to negate the statement : x ∈ AUB.

This statement means that either x is in A or x is in B. How do you NEGATE this proposition?

X is not in A or B? How do I symbolically write that? Because I can't use the union symbol. I initially thought that but it seemed too simple.

mharten1 said:
X is not in A or B? How do I symbolically write that? Because I can't use the union symbol. I initially thought that but it seemed too simple.

The negation operator is written as : [itex]\neg[/itex]

Zondrina said:
The negation operator is written as : [itex]\neg[/itex]

Ok, that makes sense. But I can't use the union symbol, and that's where I'm really confused. Could I say ~(A v B)? ~A ^ ~B by demorgans law.

mharten1 said:
Ok, that makes sense. But I can't use the union symbol, and that's where I'm really confused.

Well you're not being very clear about what statements you're trying to negate. Are they phrases that you haven't posted or is it actually the statement : x∈AUB. If you're trying to negate x∈AUB, then you can take for granted that the question is ASKING you to negate that statement, you're simply just not allowed to use the union symbol in doing it.

Zondrina said:
Well you're not being very clear about what statements you're trying to negate. Are they phrases that you haven't posted or is it actually the statement : x∈AUB. If you're trying to negate x∈AUB, then you can take for granted that the question is ASKING you to negate that statement, you're simply just not allowed to use the union symbol in doing it.

It's actually the statement x ∈ AUB.

mharten1 said:
It's actually the statement x ∈ AUB.

Like I've already stated before then, if x ∈ AUB then either x is in A or x is in B. How would you negate this proposition, aka write the opposite of what this means.

Zondrina said:
Like I've already stated before then, if x ∈ AUB then either x is in A or x is in B. How would you negate this proposition, aka write the opposite of what this means.

I would do ~(A v B), which simplifies to ~A ^ ~B. But as far as I know A and B are sets so I can't use those symbols.

mharten1 said:
I would do ~(A v B), which simplifies to ~A ^ ~B. But as far as I know A and B are sets so I can't use those symbols.

[itex]\neg[/itex]((x is in A)[itex]\vee[/itex](x is in B))

The fact that A and B are sets makes no difference. Think about what I wrote there.

1. What is "Negation AUB"?

"Negation AUB" is a mathematical term that refers to the negation of the union of two sets, denoted as ¬(A∪B). In simpler terms, it means the set of elements that are not in either set A or set B.

2. What is the difference between "Negation AUB" and "A∩B"?

The difference between "Negation AUB" and "A∩B" is that "Negation AUB" includes elements that are not in either set A or B, while "A∩B" only includes elements that are common to both set A and set B.

3. How is "Negation AUB" represented in a Venn diagram?

In a Venn diagram, "Negation AUB" can be represented as the area outside of the overlapping region between sets A and B. This area includes all elements that are not in either set A or set B.

4. What is the relationship between "Negation AUB" and the complement of "A∪B"?

The relationship between "Negation AUB" and the complement of "A∪B" is that they are equivalent. Both represent the set of elements that are not in either set A or set B.

5. How is "Negation AUB" used in real-life scenarios?

"Negation AUB" can be used in real-life scenarios to represent situations where an outcome is not the result of either of two events. For example, if event A is getting a job offer and event B is getting a promotion, "Negation AUB" would represent not getting a job offer or a promotion, or getting neither a job offer nor a promotion.