1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Negation AUB

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Construct the negation of each statement below without using the fol-
    lowing symbols: ∩, ∪, ⊆, ⊇, ⊂, ⊃, \, △, and =.

x ∈ A U B

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to start. I'm completely lost. =\

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Well, my guess is you want to negate the statement : x ∈ AUB.

This statement means that either x is in A or x is in B. How do you NEGATE this proposition?

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3
    X is not in A or B? How do I symbolically write that? Because I can't use the union symbol. I initially thought that but it seemed too simple.

5. Sep 17, 2012 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

The negation operator is written as : [itex]\neg[/itex]

6. Sep 17, 2012 #5
    Ok, that makes sense. But I can't use the union symbol, and that's where I'm really confused. Could I say ~(A v B)? ~A ^ ~B by demorgans law.

7. Sep 17, 2012 #6

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Well you're not being very clear about what statements you're trying to negate. Are they phrases that you haven't posted or is it actually the statement : x∈AUB. If you're trying to negate x∈AUB, then you can take for granted that the question is ASKING you to negate that statement, you're simply just not allowed to use the union symbol in doing it.

8. Sep 17, 2012 #7
    It's actually the statement x ∈ AUB.

9. Sep 17, 2012 #8

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Like I've already stated before then, if x ∈ AUB then either x is in A or x is in B. How would you negate this proposition, aka write the opposite of what this means.

10. Sep 17, 2012 #9
    I would do ~(A v B), which simplifies to ~A ^ ~B. But as far as I know A and B are sets so I can't use those symbols.

11. Sep 17, 2012 #10

Zondrina

Homework Helper

[itex]\neg[/itex]((x is in A)[itex]\vee[/itex](x is in B))

The fact that A and B are sets makes no difference. Think about what I wrote there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook