How Does Negative Voltage and Current Affect Power Direction in Circuits?

In summary: So, in summary, the power is voltage times current and a positive sign indicates power is being dissipated at the branch while a negative sign indicates power is being furnished by the branch. The reference device is the one where the reference current flows from and a negative power means that the reference device is furnishing power.
jegues

Homework Statement

I've got a gap in my understanding of power in circuit. I have a feeling my problem has something to do with sign convention or something. Anyways, here's the question,

Two electrical devices are connected at an interface shown below(see figure). Using the reference marks shown in the figure, find the power transferred and state whether the power is transferred from A to B or B to A, when v = -33 V & i = -1.2 mA.

Homework Equations

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know that since the current is negative it is simply going in the opposite direction than depicted in the diagram. (See figure) With this I can conclude that the power is being transferred from B to A, correct?

Now for the part I'm more so confused about, the negative voltage. All these means is that the voltage that is being measured has a greater negative potential than the ground node (reference node) right? How do I deal with the negative sign when making calculations in equations such as,

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

?

Do I simply sneak a negative in like so,

[tex]P = -IV[/tex]

?

Any clarification on this would be extremely helpful!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 731
Physics news on Phys.org
Power is voltage times current. A positive sign means that the power is being dissipated at the branch. A negative sign means that the power is being furnished by the branch.

CEL said:
Power is voltage times current. A positive sign means that the power is being dissipated at the branch. A negative sign means that the power is being furnished by the branch.

So do I keep the negatives when making my calculations for power using,

[tex]P = IV[/tex]?

Or do I simply include the negatives for voltage and current in my calculations?

A positive sign means that the power is being dissipated at the branch. A negative sign means that the power is being furnished by the branch.

So if my power ends up being positive then the power will be transferred from A to B, and vice versa, if my power ends up being negative then the power will be gained by device A, meaning that the power is being transferred from B to A, correct?

jegues said:
So do I keep the negatives when making my calculations for power using,

[tex]P = IV[/tex]?

Or do I simply include the negatives for voltage and current in my calculations?
Simply include the negatives of voltage and current.

So if my power ends up being positive then the power will be transferred from A to B, and vice versa, if my power ends up being negative then the power will be gained by device A, meaning that the power is being transferred from B to A, correct?

If your power is negative at A, it will be positive at B. Then the voltage is furnished by A and dissipated at B.
Remember that in the source, the current flows from the minus to the plus terminal. So the power is negative.
In the load, the current flows from the plus to the minus terminal, so power is positive.

CEL said:
Simply include the negatives of voltage and current.

So if I was given the same situation with say, v= 12 V and i = -2.2 A

Then,

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

[tex]P = (-2.2 A)(12V) = -26.4 W[/tex]

So I have -26.4 W of power, flowing from B to A because my power is negative, correct?

If your power is negative at A, it will be positive at B. Then the voltage is furnished by A and dissipated at B.
Remember that in the source, the current flows from the minus to the plus terminal. So the power is negative.
In the load, the current flows from the plus to the minus terminal, so power is positive.

This part really confused me. How do I know which device I'm measuring from. I make the calculation like I did above, but this doesn't tell me if I'm measuring power at device A or device B.

Can you clarify some more?

EDIT:

After reading it over, this part makes perfect sense, but the question and confusion still remains at which device am I measuring the power at? Device A or Device B?

Last edited:
jegues said:
So if I was given the same situation with say, v= 12 V and i = -2.2 A

Then,

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

So I have -26.4 W of power, flowing from B to A because my power is negative, correct?

No, you have 26.4 W of power flowing from A to B.

This part really confused me. How do I know which device I'm measuring from. I make the calculation like I did above, but this doesn't tell me if I'm measuring power at device A or device B.

Can you clarify some more?

EDIT:

After reading it over, this part makes perfect sense, but the question and confusion still remains at which device am I measuring the power at? Device A or Device B?

According to your picture, the reference current flows from A to B. So, device A is the reference.

CEL said:
No, you have 26.4 W of power flowing from A to B.

According to your picture, the reference current flows from A to B. So, device A is the reference.

If device A is the reference and I obtain a negative power in my calculation,

i.e.

Then I should have 26.4 W flowing from B to A. A is asorbing power, correct?

jegues said:
If device A is the reference and I obtain a negative power in my calculation,

i.e.

Then I should have 26.4 W flowing from B to A. A is asorbing power, correct?

No, it´s the reverse. Power is flowing from A to B.

CEL said:
No, it´s the reverse. Power is flowing from A to B.

So does a negative power mean that the reference device is absorbing power, or dissapating power?

If it's absorbing, then the power must be flowing into it correct?

What am I misunderstanding?

EDIT: Here's the source of my confusion.

A positive sign means that the power is being dissipated at the branch. A negative sign means that the power is being furnished by the branch.

This is incorrect. If the power has a positive sign, then power is being absorbed. If the power has a negative sign, then it is supplying power.

Now it makes sense that the power is being transferred from device A to device B.

Last edited:
Okay after doing some review on passive sign convention I think I have a better idea at what's going on so I'm going to give a few scenarios a shot.

a) v = 12 V & i = -2.2 A

Here we have 26.4 W of power, and the power is being transferred from A to B.

b) v = -33 V & i = -1.2 mA

Here we have 39.6 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

c) v = 15 V & i = 40 mA

Here we have 600 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

d) v = -37.5 V & i = -43 mA

Here we have 1612.5 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

Is this correct? Do I finally have my head on straight?:redface:

jegues said:
So does a negative power mean that the reference device is absorbing power, or dissapating power?

If it's absorbing, then the power must be flowing into it correct?

What am I misunderstanding?

EDIT: Here's the source of my confusion.

This is incorrect. If the power has a positive sign, then power is being absorbed. If the power has a negative sign, then it is supplying power.

Now it makes sense that the power is being transferred from device A to device B.

If your device has memory (capacitor, inductor, battery) it absorbs and stores power. If it has no memory (resistor) it dissipates power. In both cases the power is positive.

jegues said:
Okay after doing some review on passive sign convention I think I have a better idea at what's going on so I'm going to give a few scenarios a shot.

a) v = 12 V & i = -2.2 A

Here we have 26.4 W of power, and the power is being transferred from A to B.

b) v = -33 V & i = -1.2 mA

Here we have 39.6 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

c) v = 15 V & i = 40 mA

Here we have 600 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

d) v = -37.5 V & i = -43 mA

Here we have 1612.5 mW of power, and the power is being transferred from B to A.

Is this correct? Do I finally have my head on straight?:redface:

Yes, this is correct.

1. What is negative power?

Negative power refers to a number that is raised to a negative exponent. This means that the number is divided by itself a certain number of times, depending on the exponent.

2. How is negative power different from positive power?

Negative power is the inverse of positive power. When a number is raised to a positive exponent, it is multiplied by itself a certain number of times. When a number is raised to a negative exponent, it is divided by itself a certain number of times.

3. What does negative power represent in math?

Negative power can represent a fraction or decimal number that is less than 1. It can also represent a reciprocal of a number.

4. How do you calculate negative power?

To calculate negative power, you can use the following formula: a-n = 1/an, where "a" is the base number and "n" is the exponent.

5. What are some real-life applications of negative power?

Negative power can be used to represent the strength of a force acting in the opposite direction, such as friction. It can also be used in engineering and physics calculations, such as calculating resistance in an electric circuit.