Net Outward Flux of Vector Field Across Surface Solid

• Thread starter myfunkymaths
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Net
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the net outward flux of a vector field across a solid surface bounded by a cylinder and two planes. The approach taken was to use a triple integral of the divergence of the vector field, resulting in an answer of 3pi + (3pi/2). However, it was pointed out that the integrand should be 3r^2 instead of 3r^3. From there, it was suggested to use polar coordinates and multiply by r, resulting in a correct answer of 3pi.
myfunkymaths

Homework Statement

calculate net outward flux of vector field F(x,y,z)=3xy^2 i +xcosz j +z^3k, across surface solid bounded by cylinder y^2 +z^2 =1
planes x=-1, x=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt was triple integral of divF=> 3*triple integral r^3
ended up getting an answer =3pi + (3pi/2)

is the answer i got correct?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
did not work out the integral, but your approach seemed correct. there's this handy site called wolfram alpha you know...it evaluates integrals and (i haven't checked) might even do flux.

myfunkymaths said:

Homework Statement

calculate net outward flux of vector field F(x,y,z)=3xy^2 i +xcosz j +z^3k, across surface solid bounded by cylinder y^2 +z^2 =1
planes x=-1, x=2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt was triple integral of divF=> 3*triple integral r^3
ended up getting an answer =3pi + (3pi/2)

is the answer i got correct?

thank you

No, I don't think so. 3r^2 is ok for an integrand. How did you do the rest?

Dick said:
No, I don't think so. 3r^2 is ok for an integrand. How did you do the rest?
You forgot to multiply by r when converting to polar

ƒ(x) said:
You forgot to multiply by r when converting to polar

I didn't quite forget. I meant 3r^2 for div(F). Sure, it becomes 3r^3 with the extra factor of r from the area element. Thanks.

ok, thanks for the comments.

Related to Net Outward Flux of Vector Field Across Surface Solid

1. What is the meaning of "net outward flux" in a vector field?

The net outward flux of a vector field across a surface solid is a measure of the total flow of the vector field passing through the surface in an outward direction. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vector field at each point on the surface.

2. How is the net outward flux calculated?

The net outward flux is calculated using a mathematical formula called the surface integral, which involves integrating the vector field over the surface. This calculation takes into account the orientation of the surface and the magnitude and direction of the vector field at each point on the surface.

3. What factors affect the net outward flux of a vector field?

The net outward flux of a vector field is affected by the magnitude and direction of the vector field, as well as the orientation and size of the surface. It also depends on the distance between the surface and the source of the vector field.

4. What are some real-world applications of the net outward flux of a vector field?

The net outward flux of a vector field has many real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is used to calculate the rate of flow of fluids, the strength of electric and magnetic fields, and the transfer of heat and energy in various systems.

5. How is the concept of net outward flux related to the divergence of a vector field?

The net outward flux of a vector field is mathematically related to the divergence of the vector field. The divergence of a vector field at a point represents the tendency of the vector field to flow outward from that point. The net outward flux is a measure of this tendency over a larger surface or region.