Net Polarization: Definition & Meaning

In summary, the conversation discusses the term "net polarization" and its various meanings in the context of liquid crystals and electromagnetic radiation. The term is used to describe the alignment of polarized molecules in a liquid crystal material or the polarization of light waves. The word "net" is associated with the resulting or final polarization, but can also be replaced with "resulting" for clarification. The conversation also briefly mentions the term "annellate" and its meaning as a chemical term.
vanchung
hi everyone!
I would love to learn more about physics. Please help me define the term "net polarization". Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi vanchung,

What is the context? Because the word "polarization" can be used to describe many things. I suspect you are either reading about light, molecules, or solids (dielectrics), but the term could apply to other things as well.

Dear Dr. Lots-o' watts,
Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and generostity in helping me figure out the meaning of the phrase net polarization, especially your rapid reply regarding this topic. Oh, yes I have read an article about light radiation in liquid crystal material. But, I do not understand what net polarization is. In my opinion, the word net have at least two meaning: lattice or network, and pure or neat. I am looking forward to clarification from you. Thank you again for your having time with me.

Well, the term can refer to the liquid crystal and/or the radiation.

1. Liquid crystals are generally made out of molecules that are polarized, this means that the molecules have a (+) end and a minus (-) end. If the liquid crystal itself is polarized, it means the molecules are generally aligned: the (-) all pointing in the same direction. The molecules can be aligned (= the liquid crystal can be polarized) by applying a constant (DC) electric field.

2. Light, as you know is electromagnetic radiation. If the electromagnetic wave oscillates in a specific, defined, direction, it is said to be polarized. Light waves can be linearly polarized (one direction), or circularly polarized (equal oscillations in any two perpendicular directions). The general case is elliptical polarization (two perpendicular directions at different amplitudes). Common light contains an infinite mixture of variously elliptical polarizations (which can be filtered as needed).

The word "net" is generally associated with "resulting", "final", or "output", but the entire sentence would be helpful here.

Dear Dr Lots,
I have read the whole message from you with joy already. I get much not only profound knowledge about physics, but also English. I really understand the nature of polarization phenomena. Honestly, the meaning of the word "net" in the context remains unknown to me. In your explanation, you just mention what is associated with "net";not the meaning of the "net" in the circumstance. In order to bring about more clear-cut comprehension by you, I hereby add more related term and context, so that you can help me more effectively, below.
for example, limb polarization, tinted linearly polarizing state...
and the following paragraph that I have read
"while dichroic materials are capable of preferentially absorbing one of two orthogonal plane polarized components of transmitted radiation, if the molecules of the dichroic material are not suitably positioned or arranged, no net linear polarization of transmitted radiation will be achieved"
net polarization = net-shaped polarization? or anything else?
thank you,

vanchung said:
Dear Dr Lots,
I have read the whole message from you with joy already. I get much not only profound knowledge about physics, but also English. I really understand the nature of polarization phenomena. Honestly, the meaning of the word "net" in the context remains unknown to me. In your explanation, you just mention what is associated with "net";not the meaning of the "net" in the circumstance. In order to bring about more clear-cut comprehension by you, I hereby add more related term and context, so that you can help me more effectively, below.
for example, limb polarization, tinted linearly polarizing state...
and the following paragraph that I have read
"while dichroic materials are capable of preferentially absorbing one of two orthogonal plane polarized components of transmitted radiation, if the molecules of the dichroic material are not suitably positioned or arranged, no net linear polarization of transmitted radiation will be achieved"
net polarization = net-shaped polarization? or anything else?
thank you,

I see, it simply means that while each molecule may affect the polarization of part of the beam, if they are not aligned, the beam as whole is statistically unaffected, and may remain unpolarized. The word "net" is not specifically associated to polarization, just replace it with "resulting".

Dear Dr. Lots-o' watts,
Your reply is very helpful for improvement of my knowlege. It enable me to understand the issue easily, which I cannot find in any webpage. I greatly appreciate your kindness and in-depth knowlege. Hopefully, many contact will be made in the future. If and when you come to Vietnam, please contact me for gathering.

hi everybody, especially Dr Lots,
I get difficulty figuring out the meaning of the verb "annellate". It is a chemical term. I just want to know its meaning. Thanks a lot.

1. What is net polarization?

Net polarization refers to the overall level of polarization in a society or group. It is a measure of the extent to which individuals hold extreme and opposing views on a particular issue or topic.

2. How is net polarization measured?

Net polarization is typically measured using surveys or polls that ask individuals about their beliefs or opinions on a particular issue. Researchers then analyze the responses to determine the level of polarization within a group or society.

3. What factors contribute to net polarization?

Net polarization can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as media coverage, political rhetoric, and social identity. The increasing use of social media and online echo chambers has also been linked to higher levels of net polarization.

4. What are the potential consequences of high levels of net polarization?

High levels of net polarization can lead to increased political and social divisions, making it difficult for individuals to find common ground and work towards solutions. It can also contribute to a decline in trust and cooperation within a society.

5. Can net polarization be reduced?

While net polarization may be difficult to completely eliminate, there are strategies that can help reduce its impact. These include promoting media literacy, encouraging open-mindedness and critical thinking, and fostering more diverse and inclusive social networks.