Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Network Theory Problem do help !

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Va - Vb = 6 Volts
    Calculate Vc - Vd = ?
    The circuit diagram is shown below :-

All resistances are equal to "R" as shown in fig. except for 1 ohm and 2 ohm resisters.
    Two voltage sources 10V and 5V are given and a current source in parallel to 1 ohm resistor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution:
    I thought of using KCl and nodal analysis method but the equations became quite complex.
    Though i thought that the current flowing through 2 ohm resistor will be equal to current flowing in branch connecting Vc and Vd that will be 3 ampere using KCL.
    Thus using kcl at node "M" current through 1 ohm resistor will be 5 ampere and thus voltage drop equals "5 volts = Vd - Vc". Therefore Vc - Vd equals -5 volts.

Am i doing it right and is there any other method to solve this question ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your reasoning and results are both correct. Well done.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks. But is there any other method to solve this problem ?

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Well, even if you simplified the left and right portions of the network and wrote KVL and KCL equations, it would probably boil down (mathematically) to the same thing -- things would cancel here and there to leave you to draw the same conclusions.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook