1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Network Theory Problem do help !

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Va - Vb = 6 Volts
    Calculate Vc - Vd = ?
    The circuit diagram is shown below :-

All resistances are equal to "R" as shown in fig. except for 1 ohm and 2 ohm resisters.
    Two voltage sources 10V and 5V are given and a current source in parallel to 1 ohm resistor.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution:
    I thought of using KCl and nodal analysis method but the equations became quite complex.
    Though i thought that the current flowing through 2 ohm resistor will be equal to current flowing in branch connecting Vc and Vd that will be 3 ampere using KCL.
    Thus using kcl at node "M" current through 1 ohm resistor will be 5 ampere and thus voltage drop equals "5 volts = Vd - Vc". Therefore Vc - Vd equals -5 volts.

Am i doing it right and is there any other method to solve this question ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your reasoning and results are both correct. Well done.

4. Feb 16, 2012 #3
    Thanks. But is there any other method to solve this problem ?

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Well, even if you simplified the left and right portions of the network and wrote KVL and KCL equations, it would probably boil down (mathematically) to the same thing -- things would cancel here and there to leave you to draw the same conclusions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook