What is the recommended size for a neutral conductor in a 3 phase 4 wire system?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the sizing of the neutral wire for a 3 phase 4 wire system. The question is whether the neutral conductor should be the same size as the phase conductor or 50% of it. The discussion also touches on the difference between neutral and ground, the use of a neutral wire in high voltage distribution, and the concern of unbalanced loads in LV distribution. There is mention of a recent requirement in either IEC or NEC for the neutral busbar to be the same size as the phase busbar.
Zubair8
Hi,
Frankly, I'm new to this forum. So please do guide me if I posted wrongly.

I need some help in sizing the neutral wire. For a 3 phase 4 wire system (3Ph + N), what is the recommended size of the neutral conductor. Should it be the same as the phase conductor or should it be 50% of the phase conductor. Let say a power cable that is sized up to 300sqmm, does the neutral cable also need to be sized to 300sqmm or can it be less?

Is there any specific standard, IEC or NEC that mentioned the requirement for neutral conductor size. Appreciate if you guys can mention the IEC or NEC number.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean neutral or ground? There may be a difference depending on what you are running power to. When running 3 phase power to a motor for example, what you are calling 'neutral' isn't really neutral at all. It is not supposed to carry any current except in the case of a fault. It is to be grounded to the case of the motor. However, when running 208 or 240 volt power into a building the 4th conductor (combination neutral/ground) will carry some current because of lights and other 120 volt loads. You are always safest making the 4th conductor the same size as the other 3.

I agree with Averagesupernova. Use the same size conductor if in doubt.

Three phase systems may or may not have a neutral wire. A neutral wire allows the three phase system to use a higher voltage while still supporting lower voltage single phase appliances. In high voltage distribution situations it is common not to have a neutral wire as the loads can simply be connected between phases (phase-phase connection).
http://www.3phasepower.org/3phasewiring.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
With motor its pretty straight forward, but main concerns are when dealing with LV distribution where unbalanced load exist.

For LV distribution, normally the power supply from LV Switchgear to LV MCC utilizes big cables (150sqmm - 300sqmm). The same case also applies to LV Switchgear Busbar Rating. To save copper, some people opt for lower neutral busbar rating compared to the phase busbar.

As I understand, recently either IEC or NEC requires the neutral busbar to be of the same size as the phase busbar. Can anybody point out to which clause in IEC or NEC that mentioned this.

Appreciated it. Thanks.

1. What is a neutral conductor rating?

A neutral conductor rating refers to the maximum amount of current that can safely flow through a neutral conductor without causing damage or overheating. This rating is typically determined by the size and material of the conductor, as well as the temperature and environment it will be used in.

2. Why is the neutral conductor rating important?

The neutral conductor rating is important because it ensures the safety and functionality of electrical systems. Overloading a neutral conductor can lead to overheating, which can cause fires or damage to equipment. It is crucial to follow the recommended rating to prevent these hazards.

3. How is the neutral conductor rating determined?

The neutral conductor rating is determined by various factors, including the size and material of the conductor, the temperature rating of the insulation, and the current-carrying capacity of the conductor. These factors are taken into consideration to determine the maximum current that the conductor can safely handle.

4. Can the neutral conductor rating be exceeded?

No, the neutral conductor rating should not be exceeded. Doing so can create a potential fire hazard or damage to electrical equipment. It is important to properly size and rate all components in an electrical system to ensure safe and efficient operation.

5. How can I determine the neutral conductor rating for my specific application?

To determine the neutral conductor rating for your specific application, you should consult with a qualified electrician or engineer. They will take into consideration the specific requirements of your system, such as voltage, current, and environmental factors, to determine the appropriate neutral conductor rating.