1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

New Concept for Zero Emission Natural Gas Power Generation

1. May 25, 2017 #1

BillTre

Science Advisor

Science mag news article on a new electrical power plant being set-up by a start-up.
    It burns natural gas with pure oxygen and runs turbines with CO2.
    It makes water rather than using it and is in theory close to competitive economically. .

Sounds good to me, but I'm no engineer.

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Staff: Mentor

You used the right word, concept. The article says nothing about them actually having done the R&D to build even a pilot project.

You may want to ask yourself why the people promoting this are smarter than all those other engineers. It doesn't sound likely that none of the others looked at CO2 as the fluid.

4. May 25, 2017 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

This is nonsense! The special sauce in this isn't that they don't produce CO2 but rather that they assume someone else will figure out how to sequester it for them! There is a cartoon somewhere on PF where an "inventor" figures out a fabulous invention and displays it on a blackboard, but leaves the key part blank, for someone else to figure out. It's exactly like that!

Very disappointing from Science.

5. May 26, 2017 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The above is very harsh in my opinion. For example they clearly have done enough research to prove it works or they would not have got funding to build a 25MW demonstration plant under construction.

I'd rather we didn't have to do CCS but this project does at least appear to make it a lot cheaper. I'd rather we did CCS than continue to build thousands of conventional gas power stations that just release the CO2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted