New Concept for Zero Emission Natural Gas Power Generation

In summary, the new electrical power plant burns natural gas with pure oxygen and runs turbines with CO2. It makes water rather than using it and is in theory close to competitive economically.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Science mag news article on a new electrical power plant being set-up by a start-up.
It burns natural gas with pure oxygen and runs turbines with CO2.
It makes water rather than using it and is in theory close to competitive economically. .

Sounds good to me, but I'm no engineer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You used the right word, concept. The article says nothing about them actually having done the R&D to build even a pilot project.

For decades, engineers have worked on Brayton cycles—thermodynamic loops that take advantage of the properties of supercritical fluids, which could be air or CO2.

You may want to ask yourself why the people promoting this are smarter than all those other engineers. It doesn't sound likely that none of the others looked at CO2 as the fluid.

BillTre said:
Science mag news article on a new electrical power plant being set-up by a start-up.
It burns natural gas with pure oxygen and runs turbines with CO2.
It makes water rather than using it and is in theory close to competitive economically. .

Sounds good to me, but I'm no engineer.
This is nonsense! The special sauce in this isn't that they don't produce CO2 but rather that they assume someone else will figure out how to sequester it for them! There is a cartoon somewhere on PF where an "inventor" figures out a fabulous invention and displays it on a blackboard, but leaves the key part blank, for someone else to figure out. It's exactly like that!

Very disappointing from Science.

Likes rootone and anorlunda
The above is very harsh in my opinion. For example they clearly have done enough research to prove it works or they would not have got funding to build a 25MW demonstration plant under construction.

I'd rather we didn't have to do CCS but this project does at least appear to make it a lot cheaper. I'd rather we did CCS than continue to build thousands of conventional gas power stations that just release the CO2.

1. What is zero emission natural gas power generation?

Zero emission natural gas power generation is a method of producing electricity from natural gas without emitting any greenhouse gases or other pollutants into the atmosphere. This is achieved through the use of advanced technologies that capture and store carbon dioxide emissions, resulting in a net-zero carbon footprint.

2. How does zero emission natural gas power generation work?

This process involves the use of a gas turbine, which burns natural gas to produce electricity. The exhaust gases from the turbine are then directed to a carbon capture system, where the carbon dioxide is separated and stored in underground reservoirs. The remaining clean gases are then used to power a steam turbine, producing additional electricity.

3. What are the benefits of zero emission natural gas power generation?

This method of power generation has several benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving air quality, and increasing energy efficiency. It also allows for the continued use of natural gas, a reliable and abundant energy source, while mitigating its environmental impact.

4. What are the challenges of implementing zero emission natural gas power generation?

The main challenge is the high cost of implementing the necessary technologies for carbon capture and storage. This requires significant investment and may result in higher electricity prices for consumers. Additionally, there may be technical and logistical challenges in storing and transporting large amounts of captured carbon dioxide.

5. Is zero emission natural gas power generation a viable solution for reducing emissions?

Yes, it is a promising solution for reducing emissions from natural gas power plants. While it may not be a completely emissions-free option, it significantly reduces the carbon footprint of electricity production and can play a crucial role in transitioning to a low-carbon energy future.