1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton third law

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1

True or False:
    - According to newton third law, the algebraic sum of the forces in the system is equal to zero.

I think the answer is FALSE because, the third law of newton says that F1 = - F2

and the " - " is for the direction, so that F1 = F2 in the quantity ==> F1 + F2 [tex]\neq [/tex] 0
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    Well, from what i understand from Newton's third law is, any force will have a counter force of the same magnitude in the opposite direction. So, if u add both, it would be zero.. however, i am not sure that is what they are asking..
  4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    The answer is true.
    If F1 = - F2, the two forces are equal but one is negative
    For example,
    1+ -1 = 0
    At least that is what I think
  5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    i think its false ,,,
    because each force is acting on seperate body,,
    so we can not find the the algebraic sum of the forces ,,

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

D H

Staff: Mentor

This question is impossible to answer without further information on what "the system" means. We have a template that specifically asks for 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data. You should have followed the template, UNknown.

Sure you can. Just add them vectorially. This is a very important concept. The (vectorial) sum of all internal forces must be zero in an isolated system.
  7. Dec 9, 2008 #6
    thank you for the correction ,,,
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?