Newton's Third Law: True or False?

In summary, the conversation regarding Newton's third law concludes that the algebraic sum of forces in the system is equal to zero, as per the law. However, there is some disagreement on whether this applies to all cases, as it depends on the definition of "the system" and whether internal forces should be included in the sum. Overall, the answer to the question is true, as each force will have an equal and opposite counterpart in an isolated system.
UNknown 2010
Hello,
True or False:
- According to Newton third law, the algebraic sum of the forces in the system is equal to zero.

I think the answer is FALSE because, the third law of Newton says that F1 = - F2

and the " - " is for the direction, so that F1 = F2 in the quantity ==> F1 + F2 [tex]\neq [/tex] 0

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, from what i understand from Newton's third law is, any force will have a counter force of the same magnitude in the opposite direction. So, if u add both, it would be zero.. however, i am not sure that is what they are asking..

The answer is true.
If F1 = - F2, the two forces are equal but one is negative
For example,
1+ -1 = 0
At least that is what I think

i think its false ,,,
because each force is acting on separate body,,
so we can not find the the algebraic sum of the forces ,,

UNknown 2010 said:
True or False:
- According to Newton third law, the algebraic sum of the forces in the system is equal to zero.
This question is impossible to answer without further information on what "the system" means. We have a template that specifically asks for

Homework Statement

. You should have followed the template, UNknown.

redrose_emf said:
i think its false ,,,
because each force is acting on separate body,,
so we can not find the the algebraic sum of the forces
Sure you can. Just add them vectorially. This is a very important concept. The (vectorial) sum of all internal forces must be zero in an isolated system.

D H said:
Sure you can. Just add them vectorially. This is a very important concept. The (vectorial) sum of all internal forces must be zero in an isolated system.

thank you for the correction ,,,

Related to Newton's Third Law: True or False?

1. Is Newton's Third Law true or false?

The Third Law of Motion, also known as Newton's Third Law, is true. It states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This has been proven through numerous experiments and is a fundamental principle in physics.

2. Can you give an example of Newton's Third Law?

A classic example of Newton's Third Law is when a person jumps off a boat onto the dock. The action is the person pushing off the boat, and the reaction is the boat moving in the opposite direction.

3. Does Newton's Third Law only apply to objects in motion?

No, Newton's Third Law applies to all objects, whether they are in motion or at rest. The important concept is that for every force, there is an equal and opposite force acting in the opposite direction.

4. Are there any exceptions to Newton's Third Law?

There are no known exceptions to Newton's Third Law. It is a fundamental principle in physics and has been observed to hold true in all experiments and observations.

5. How does Newton's Third Law relate to everyday life?

Newton's Third Law can be observed in everyday life in many ways, such as sitting in a chair (the action is your weight pushing down on the chair, and the reaction is the chair pushing up on you), or when walking (the action is your foot pushing against the ground, and the reaction is the ground pushing back and propelling you forward).