Newtonian particle problem with air resistance

In summary, the homework statement asks how the falling distance (y) changes when the air resistance (γv3) is the same. TheAttempt at a Solution found that when y>0, the falling distance is equal to v*dv/dy, which is equal to v*v/dy when y<0. Partial fraction decomposition was used to solve the problem.
RawrSpoon
Hey guys, first time poster but I'm a physics major and probably going to stick around for a while to help people or get some help myself :P

Anyway, on to the problem!

Homework Statement

A particle is released from rest and falls under the influence of gravity. Find the relationship between v and falling distance y when the air resistance is equal to γv3

Homework Equations

F=ma=-mg+γv3

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been able to solve this same problem for γv and γv2 but I can't seem to find an easy way to find
∫dv/(-g+v3)=t+C without Mathematica giving me an incredibly complex answer.

I don't want hand-outs, I want to solve this myself, but I don't have any idea where to go with this. Any tips on what I should be looking at to attempt a solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
A difference of cubes will factor. So you might want to define a constant b so that you can write your denominator as v^3 - b^3.

I'm unsure how that would work? Should I define b as being the cube root of mg so I end up having

m*dv/(v^3-b^3)? I'm not sure how I would integrate from there.

That integral is available in standard tables (e.g. CRC). It's messy but it's a closed-form expression. Have you tried to apply it to your integral? BTW in your integral the coefficient for v3 should be γ/m, not that that's a show-stopper. Also, I would choose y > 0 for t > 0 (just a sign change).

The problem doesn't ask for v(t), it just asks for the relationship between v and t. So I would argue that t(v) is an acceptable answer. Try it on for size anyway! :-)

RawrSpoon said:
I'm unsure how that would work? Should I define b as being the cube root of mg so I end up having

m*dv/(v^3-b^3)? I'm not sure how I would integrate from there.

Use partial fraction decomposition. You can decompose a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)}[/itex] as a sum of linear fractions [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}+ \frac{B}{x-b} + \frac{C}{x-c}[/itex] by a suitable choice of constants [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex].

Thanks guys, I got it with partial fraction decomposition.

I also realized I was heading the wrong way since I was finding the relationship between v and t while the question prompted to find the relationship between v and y. So I did a=dv/dt=dy/dt * dv/dy=v*dv/dy to solve the problem.

It wasn't too tough after that. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it

What is a Newtonian particle problem with air resistance?

A Newtonian particle problem with air resistance is a situation where a particle is moving through a fluid, such as air, and experiences resistance due to the fluid's properties. This resistance affects the particle's motion and must be taken into account when solving the problem.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a particle?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, acts in the opposite direction of the particle's motion and reduces its speed. This is due to the interaction between the particle and the air molecules, which creates a force that opposes the particle's motion.

How is air resistance incorporated into Newton's laws of motion?

In Newtonian mechanics, air resistance is considered as an external force acting on the particle. This force is included in the second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

What factors affect the amount of air resistance experienced by a particle?

The amount of air resistance depends on several factors, including the shape and size of the particle, its velocity, and the properties of the fluid it is moving through. For example, a larger particle will experience more air resistance than a smaller one.

How can the motion of a particle with air resistance be solved?

To solve a Newtonian particle problem with air resistance, we need to consider the forces acting on the particle and use Newton's laws of motion to determine its acceleration. This can be done using mathematical equations or by using computer simulations.