1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newtonian particle problem with air resistance

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    Hey guys, first time poster but I'm a physics major and probably gonna stick around for a while to help people or get some help myself :P

Anyway, on to the problem!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is released from rest and falls under the influence of gravity. Find the relationship between v and falling distance y when the air resistance is equal to γv3

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma=-mg+γv3

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've been able to solve this same problem for γv and γv2 but I can't seem to find an easy way to find
    ∫dv/(-g+v3)=t+C without Mathematica giving me an incredibly complex answer.

I don't want hand-outs, I want to solve this myself, but I don't have any idea where to go with this. Any tips on what I should be looking at to attempt a solution?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A difference of cubes will factor. So you might want to define a constant b so that you can write your denominator as v^3 - b^3.

4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    I'm unsure how that would work? Should I define b as being the cube root of mg so I end up having

m*dv/(v^3-b^3)? I'm not sure how I would integrate from there.

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That integral is available in standard tables (e.g. CRC). It's messy but it's a closed-form expression. Have you tried to apply it to your integral? BTW in your integral the coefficient for v3 should be γ/m, not that that's a show-stopper. Also, I would choose y > 0 for t > 0 (just a sign change).

The problem doesn't ask for v(t), it just asks for the relationship between v and t. So I would argue that t(v) is an acceptable answer. Try it on for size anyway! :-)

6. Sep 24, 2012 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use partial fraction decomposition. You can decompose a fraction of the form [itex]\frac{1}{(x-a)(x-b)(x-c)}[/itex] as a sum of linear fractions [itex]\frac{A}{x-a}+ \frac{B}{x-b} + \frac{C}{x-c}[/itex] by a suitable choice of constants [itex]A[/itex], [itex]B[/itex], [itex]C[/itex].

7. Sep 24, 2012 #6
    Thanks guys, I got it with partial fraction decomposition.

I also realized I was heading the wrong way since I was finding the relationship between v and t while the question prompted to find the relationship between v and y. So I did a=dv/dt=dy/dt * dv/dy=v*dv/dy to solve the problem.

It wasn't too tough after that. Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook