Newton's 3rd Law - block on top of another block

• Thread starter banana2020
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block Law
In summary, a horizontal force of 89.7 N is applied to a 11.6 kg block, causing it to slide. The block is placed on top of a 5.35 kg block which is tied to the wall by a string. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.247. To find the tension in the string, the net acceleration of the system must be determined by creating separate free body diagrams for each block. The net acceleration is found to be 2.87 m/s^2 to the right for the lower block and 0 m/s^2 for the top block. The tension in the string is found to be 2.41 N.
banana2020

Homework Statement

A m1=5.35 kg block is placed on top of a m2=11.6 kg block. A horizontal force of 89.7 N is applied to the 11.6 kg block causing it to slide. The 5.35 kg block is tied to the wall by a string. The co-efficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.247. Determine the magnitude of the tension in the string. Find the acceleration of the 11.6 kg.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find tension in the string, i attempted to find the net acceleration and below is my approach...

I drew a FBD separately for m1 and m2.
The net acceleration is to the right for m2.

FBD for m2 (lower):

the applied force is in the right direction = 89.7 N
the opposing force (Fk) is = µmg = µ(m1 + m2)g = µ(16.95)(9.81) = 48.67 N
F - Fk = ma
a = (89.7 - 48.67)/16.95 = 2.87 m/s2

my thinking is that the applied force is applied to the lower block, so it must also include the mass of the upper block. thus the force of kinetic friction (in the opposite direction) must also include the mass of the upper block and the lower block...

i tried to find the vertical component of the acceleration but the forces canceled out and i ended up with a in y direction = g

FBD for m1:
since the net acceleration of m1 is to the left, the T and Fk are to the left side.
T + Fk = ma
T = ma - Fk = (5.35)(2.87) - µ(5.35)(9.8) = 2.41 N

Physics news on Phys.org
banana2020 said:

Homework Statement

A m1=5.35 kg block is placed on top of a m2=11.6 kg block. A horizontal force of 89.7 N is applied to the 11.6 kg block causing it to slide. The 5.35 kg block is tied to the wall by a string. The co-efficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is 0.247. Determine the magnitude of the tension in the string. Find the acceleration of the 11.6 kg.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

In order to find tension in the string, i attempted to find the net acceleration and below is my approach...

I drew a FBD separately for m1 and m2.
Good!
The net acceleration is to the right for m2.
Yes!
FBD for m2 (lower):

the applied force is in the right direction = 89.7 N
the opposing force (Fk) is = µmg = µ(m1 + m2)g = µ(16.95)(9.81) = 48.67 N
F - Fk = ma
a = (89.7 - 48.67)/16.95 = 2.87 m/s2
, No, there is also an opposing friction force between the 2 blocks.
my thinking is that the applied force is applied to the lower block, so it must also include the mass of the upper block.
In your FBD, the Normal force (not the mass) of the top block must be included.
... thus the force of kinetic friction (in the opposite direction) must also include the mass of the upper block and the lower block...
There are 2 kinetic friction forces acting on the lower block, each of which is a function of the appropriate normal force, not the mass.
i tried to find the vertical component of the acceleration but the forces canceled out and i ended up with a in y direction = g
but there is no a in the y direction...Newton 1.
FBD for m1:
since the net acceleration of m1 is to the left, the T and Fk are to the left side.
T + Fk = ma
T = ma - Fk = (5.35)(2.87) - µ(5.35)(9.8) = 2.41 N

Homework Statement

The top block does not move..it thus has no acceleration with respect to the ground (Newton 1 again). Per Newton 3, what is the direction of the friction force on the top block?

1. What is Newton's 3rd Law?

Newton's 3rd Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

2. How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to a block on top of another block?

In this scenario, the bottom block exerts a downward force on the top block, while the top block exerts an equal and opposite upward force on the bottom block. This is due to the contact forces between the two blocks, and is an example of Newton's 3rd Law in action.

3. Can Newton's 3rd Law be observed in everyday life?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can be observed in many everyday situations. For example, when you push against a wall, the wall pushes back with an equal and opposite force. Another example is the recoil of a gun when a bullet is fired - the force of the bullet leaving the barrel is equal and opposite to the force that propels the gun backward.

4. What is the significance of Newton's 3rd Law in physics?

Newton's 3rd Law is significant because it helps us understand the fundamental nature of forces and how they interact with objects. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the motion and behavior of objects in the physical world.

5. Are there any exceptions to Newton's 3rd Law?

While Newton's 3rd Law generally holds true, there are a few exceptions. For example, in certain cases involving non-contact forces, such as gravity or magnetic forces, the equal and opposite reaction may not be immediately apparent. Additionally, in situations involving changing velocities or deformable objects, the forces may not be exactly equal and opposite, but they still follow the principles of Newton's 3rd Law.