Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio

In summary, to maximize the magnitude of the gravitational force between two parts of a mass M separated by a certain distance, the ratio of the masses should be 1/2. This can be proved by assigning integers to the variables and taking the derivative of the equation for force with respect to one of the masses.
brendan3eb

Homework Statement

A mass M is split into two parts, m and M - m, which are then separated by a certain distance. What ratio m/M maximizes the magnitude of the gravitational force between the parts?

Homework Equations

F=Gm1m2/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I first just tried plugging in M - m and m in for m1 and m2 to see what I get.

F=(GMm-Gm)/d^2

I believe that I will have to take a derivative to find the maximum, but I am confused as to what I should take the derivative with respect to.

Physics news on Phys.org
you should not need a derivative. look at extreme cases. if the ratio of M/m was 1000, what would the force be like? what if the ratio was smaller, say 2?

That is true, but I need to prove that is 1/2. The only way I can think of doing that is with a derivative. Although I do see the logic in what you are saying about taking the extreme cases.

try assigning integers to the variables M and d, since they do not change based upon different m values. also, recheck the GMm-Gm part of the equation. I got something else for if i plugged in the values like you did.

Starting with the regular equation for the force of gravity:

[tex]F=G\frac{m_0m_1}{d^2}[/tex]

Let [tex]m_0=M-m[/tex] and [tex]m_1=m[/tex]

Substitute into the first equation:

[tex]F=G\frac{(M-m)m}{d^2}=G\frac{Mm-m^2}{d^2}[/tex]

To maximize [tex]F[/tex], [tex]Mm-m^2[/tex] has to be maximized.

Take its derivative with respect to [tex]m[/tex] and set it to zero:

[tex]M-2m=0[/tex]

Rearrange:

[tex]M=2m[/tex]

Rearrange:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}=\frac{m}{M}[/tex]

1. What is Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio?

Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the gravitational force between two objects and their masses and distance from each other.

2. What does the formula for Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio look like?

The formula is F = G(m1m2)/d^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

3. How was Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio discovered?

Isaac Newton discovered this law while studying the motion of objects and their relationship to gravity. He observed that the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What are the units for each variable in the formula?

The units for the force (F) are newtons (N), the units for the masses (m1 and m2) are kilograms (kg), and the unit for distance (d) is meters (m). The gravitational constant (G) has a value of 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

5. How is Newton's Law of Gravitation ratio used in real life?

This law is used to explain and predict the motion of objects in space, such as planets orbiting the sun. It is also used in engineering and aviation to calculate the gravitational forces acting on objects and to determine the trajectories of objects in motion.