Practical Applications of Newton's Laws: A Science Competition Project

In summary, the student is trying to find a way to prove Newton's laws using a practical project for a science competition. He mentions trying to use Archimede's principle and using the acceleration of gravity on a mass on Earth to show the law.
Lunthar

Homework Statement

I have to prove Newton's laws with a practical project, for my school's science competition. This is what I have until now:

3rd law ==> a) Two balls tied with a thread with a spring between them.
b) A rocket/balloon... but I don't know how... any ideas??

1st law ==> a) Fill a recipent with water, put any floating object into it, if there's no force, there won't be any movement.

2nd law==> b) no idea...

Can you help please?? (And excuse my english, greetings from Spain!)

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, and happy new year 2007! But what I was requesting were practical examples, I understand the laws... but I don't know good ways for proving it... specially for an event like that...

Third law - use Archimede's principle:

Hang an object from a spring scale into a beaker of water resting on an electronic scale.

Thanks!:wink: Any idea for second law?

For the first you could slide a (dry?) ice puck over a level glass pane.

The second requires much more effort:
1. Show that the acceleration of an object (constant mass) is directly proportional to the applied force.

2. Show that the acceleration of an object (variable mass and constant applied force) is inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

This then proves that [tex]a \propto \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

Thanks, so I have now an static and in movement practise for first law. But I still don't know how to prove the second one...

andrevdh said:
... The second requires much more effort:
1. Show that the acceleration of an object (constant mass) is directly proportional to the applied force.

2. Show that the acceleration of an object (variable mass and constant applied force) is inversely proportional to the mass of the object.

This then proves that [tex]a \propto \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

This part of my previous post refers to "proving" the second law.

You could use the acceleration of gravity on a mass on Earth to show Newtons second law. Newtons second law is F=ma. So you could say that an object at reast on Earth is moving 9.8m/s^2. The mass could weigh 1 kilogram so 1 kilogram *9.8m/s^2 will of course equal 9.8 Newtons or 2.2 pounds.

Good idea! Thank you!

1. What are Newton's Laws of Motion?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. They were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his book "Principia" in 1687.

2. What is the purpose of a Newton's Laws Project?

The purpose of a Newton's Laws Project is to help students understand and apply the concepts of Newton's Laws of Motion through hands-on experiments and activities. It is often used in physics or science classes to reinforce the principles of motion and force.

3. What are some common examples of Newton's Laws of Motion?

Some common examples of Newton's Laws of Motion include a book resting on a table (demonstrating the first law), a ball rolling down a hill (demonstrating the second law), and a rocket launching into space (demonstrating the third law).

4. What are some potential projects or experiments for a Newton's Laws Project?

Some potential projects or experiments for a Newton's Laws Project could include building a catapult to demonstrate the third law, creating a paper airplane to explore the first law, or designing a roller coaster to showcase the second law.

5. How can a Newton's Laws Project be beneficial for students?

A Newton's Laws Project can be beneficial for students as it allows them to apply theoretical concepts in a practical and engaging way. It also encourages critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and teamwork. Additionally, it can help students understand and appreciate the laws of motion in a hands-on manner.