Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks

In summary: F1=5.10N. Then the force is acted on M2. F2=5.10N. In summary, For a system with two blocks in contact on a frictionless table, with M1 = 1.03 kg, M2 = 3.40 kg, and F = 5.10 N, the size of the contact force between the two blocks is 3.914N when a horizontal force is applied to M2, and 1.85N when an equal but oppositely directed force is applied to M1. The equation F=MA can be used to find the acceleration of the system, and the net force acting on M1 is the difference between the applied force and the
melv14

Homework Statement

Part 1

Two blocks are in contact on a frictionless table. A horizontal force F is applied to M2, as shown. If M1 = 1.03 kg, M2 = 3.40 kg, and F = 5.10 N, find the size of the contact force between the two blocks.

http://loncapa1.fsu.edu/enc/85/c70c507c1fdfce450f24d473053587465ad535c2c20eedbf8845ed0a22afb4e439270ed6dfaf6472da2a2cac5a4ec3a06f1770c443f1ffcb6e5f0ece685f8ea7803066440f7d55b844760e01ac475fea48c6e88e4c25cdda0806fb9fcbe8bb4cfae3d0436dc5c98e9e32a9ec3bcf2bb4.gif

Part 2

If instead an equal but oppositely directed force is applied to M1 rather than M2, find the size of the contact force between the two blocks.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure F=MA is the equation to use.

The Attempt at a Solution

For this, I looked at the system as a whole, summed the masses and found the acceleration of the entire system.

I found this to be a=1.151m/s^2

I then isolated mass 2 and mass 1 to find the forces for part 1 and 2 respectively. I obtained the answers : 3.914N for part 1 and 1.85N for part 2.

Where am I going wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Net force acting on M1 is (the applied force F1 - reaction F2 from the mass M1)
Your acceleration is correct, and it is common for both.
So the acceleration of M1 = (F1 - F2)/M1 = a.
F1 is given. Find F2. Repeat the same thing in the opposite direction.

Ok, I got the first part, thanks!

The second part is still tripping me up though. What do you mean when you say do the opposite?

melv14 said:
Ok, I got the first part, thanks!

The second part is still tripping me up though. What do you mean when you say do the opposite?
Force is acted on M1 first.

1. What are Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks?

Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks is a physical phenomenon that explains the relationship between the forces acting on two blocks in contact with each other, taking into account the presence of friction. These laws were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in the late 17th century and are fundamental principles in the study of mechanics.

2. What is the first law of Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks?

The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue in motion with a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of two blocks, this means that if there is no external force, the blocks will remain at rest or move at a constant velocity.

3. How does friction affect Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion between two surfaces in contact. In the case of two blocks, friction can cause a decrease in the velocity of the blocks or prevent them from moving at all. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of the motion, counteracting the forces that are trying to move the blocks.

4. What is the second law of Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks?

The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In the case of two blocks, this means that the net force acting on the blocks, taking into account friction, will determine the acceleration of the blocks.

5. How does the third law of Newton's Laws with Friction: Two Blocks apply?

The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of two blocks, this means that the force exerted by one block on the other is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force exerted by the second block on the first. This law helps to explain how the forces between the two blocks interact and affect their motion.