Newton's laws and 3 wooden blocks are pushed across a friction-less floor

In summary, the author is trying to find the acceleration and force on each block, but is confused because the question asks to rank the blocks by their acceleration.
sweet-buds
urgent-Newton's laws

I need help with this question(halliday, resnick and walker, fifth edition, chapter 5 , question 14): PS: I can't draw the figure so I am explaining it as much as possible.

3 wooden blocks are pushed across a frictionless floor.The blocks have masses of 5kg, 2kg and 10kg. The 3 blocks are joined or pressed against each other in the above order. In other words they are moving together.
A force of F acts on the first block i e 5 kg.

The question asks to find the acceleration and force on each block?

I have considered the 3 blocks as 3 different system. Considering motion only in horizontal direction, I would say I got the following equations:

F-f(force on 1st block due to second)=5a1(accn of the 1st block)
f(force on 2nd block due to 1st)-(force on 2nd block due to 3rd)= 2 a2(acc of 2nd block)
f(force on 3rd due to 2nd)= 10 a3

adding all the 3 equations and cancelling the action-reaction forces, I got
F= 5a1+2 a2+10 a3

The question now asks to rank the blocks accroding to their acceleration and the total mass accelerated by 1) F.

I have no clue how to proceed from here. Pls can someone help.

I have seen a similar problem of 2 blocks , and the author assumed common acceleration for both the blocks by considering them as one system
, and then for each block found the net force from free bodied diagram which should be equal to the mass of the individual block*common acceleration.
My question: why is this not the case in the above question? If it were a case it why would the ist question ask to rank the blocks in terms of their acclerations?

I am so confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. I think the problem may be asking to rank the blocks by the net force acting on each of them.

But don't you think that the second example/question is wrong in the sense why would we assume the 2 blocks to have same acceleration. If the 2 blocks had been joined by a massless inextensible cord/rope it would have a common acceleration but on the other hand let's sayif the 2 blocks had a common acceleration why would in the 3 block case each block have different acceleration?

I don't know how the figure actually looks, but from your description of the blocks being joined together I don't see how this situation really differs from a cord/rope situation.

in the rope situation, the tension makes sure that the both bodies move with same acceleration in order to prevent the string break. but let's say they have same acceleration, why does the initial question asks them to be rank in order of accelerations?
i guess the question can't be wrong bcoz it is from FUNDAMENTALS OF PHYSICS by halliday and resknick

a1=a2=a3. How is the problem actually worded? You said something about ranking by mass and acceleration...

1. What are Newton's laws?

Newton's laws are a set of three physical laws that describe the behavior of objects in motion. They were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are considered the foundation of classical mechanics.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How do Newton's laws apply to 3 wooden blocks being pushed across a friction-less floor?

Newton's laws apply to the 3 wooden blocks in the following ways: the first law explains why the blocks will continue moving at a constant speed once pushed, the second law explains how the force applied to the blocks will affect their acceleration, and the third law explains the equal and opposite reaction between the blocks and the surface they are being pushed on.

4. What is the second law of motion?

The second law of motion, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This can be represented by the formula F = ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration.

5. How does friction affect the motion of the 3 wooden blocks?

In this scenario, the floor is described as friction-less, meaning there is no force acting against the motion of the blocks. However, in real-world situations, friction would play a significant role in slowing down the motion of the blocks. This would be due to the force of friction acting in the opposite direction of the blocks' motion, causing them to slow down and eventually come to a stop.