Newton's Method for Finding the Area of a Curve: A Tricky Homework Problem

In summary, the problem is that the line y = k splits the area in half. To find k, one needs to integrate ln(x)dx.
becca4

Homework Statement

Problem:
A (area) = [tex]\int^{e}_{1}[/tex] ln(x) dx = 1

Now we let k be such that 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] k [tex]\leq[/tex]1

Consider the line y = k.

Find k so that area computed by A is exactly one half.

Homework Equations

So, first, I found point of intersection:

k = ln (x)

e[tex]^{k}[/tex] = x​

Now I have:

1/2 = [tex]\int^{e}_{e^{k}}[/tex] ln (x) dx​

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time grasping the big picture of this, that's pretty much why I'm stuck. I know that Newton's Method is used to find the roots of a function, but this area twist is really giving me a hard time. I'm supposed to use N.M. to solve for k after setting up integral to compute A/2. THEN I have to experiment to find 2A/3 and A/1000. Can anyone enlighten me? Where is this zero happening?? Am I supposed to use [tex]\int[/tex] ln (x) -k dx??

HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem, as stated, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The "area computed by A" does not depend on k. Do you mean to say that y= k divides the area computed by A in half? That's different from saying that [itex]\int_{e^k}^e ln(x)dx= 1/2[/itex] which has nothing to do with A.

In any case, you will have to integrate [itex]\int ln(x) dx[/itex]. Can you do that?

I copied the problem verbatim from the handout I was given, so I'm sorry that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to you...

Yes, I mean to say that the line y = k splits the area in half. And yes, I know how to integrate ln(x), but it doesn't do me a whole lot if I don't know what I'm doing. :eek:(

So I have:

[tex]\int^{e}_{e^{k}}[/tex] ln (x) dx = x ln x - x ][tex]^{e}_{e^{k}}[/tex]

= ( e ln(e) - e ) - (e[tex]^{k}[/tex] ln(e[tex]^{k}[/tex] )

= (e*1 -e) - ( e[tex]^{k}[/tex]*k)

= - ( e[tex]^{k}[/tex]*k)
Since that integral is equal to 1/2 (since the line cuts it in half)

1/2 = -k * e[tex]^{k}[/tex]

0 = -k * e[tex]^{k}[/tex] - 1/2 <--- Is this supposed to be the equation I use N.M. on?

becca4 said:
I copied the problem verbatim from the handout I was given, so I'm sorry that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to you...

Yes, I mean to say that the line y = k splits the area in half. And yes, I know how to integrate ln(x), but it doesn't do me a whole lot if I don't know what I'm doing. :eek:(

So I have:

[tex]\int^{e}_{e^{k}}[/tex] ln (x) dx = x ln x - x ][tex]^{e}_{e^{k}}[/tex]

= ( e ln(e) - e ) - (e[tex]^{k}[/tex] ln(e[tex]^{k}[/tex] )

= (e*1 -e) - ( e[tex]^{k}[/tex]*k)​

You forgot the "-x". the integral is
[tex]-ke^k+ e^k[/tex]
= - ( e[tex]^{k}[/tex]*k)
and so this is [itex]e^k(1-k)[/itex]
Since that integral is equal to 1/2 (since the line cuts it in half)

1/2 = -k * e[tex]^{k}[/tex]

0 = -k * e[tex]^{k}[/tex] - 1/2 <--- Is this supposed to be the equation I use N.M. on?
No, because you neglected the "-x" your equation is
[tex] e^k (1-k)= 1/2[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, yeah, that makes sense. So now,

[tex]k - ( e^k (1-k) ) / d/dk ( e^k (1-k) ) [/tex]​

should give me what k converges to, meaning the value of k that when 1/2 is subtracted, equals to zero, right??

So for 2/3, I'd use this equation to solve for k using Newton's method,
[tex] e^k (1-k)= 2/3 [/tex]​

and for 1/1000,
[tex] e^k (1-k)= 1/1000 [/tex]​

Am I on the right track?

Are you 100% sure that your original integral wasn't [tex]\int^e_1 \frac{1}{x} dx = 1[/tex] instead? Because [tex]\int^e_1 \log x dx = -1[/tex] in case you didn't check with the anti derivative... Also the integral of 1/x from t to 1, wrt t, is a common definition of the natural logarithm, so you might have just typed down something you were thinking about a few lines ahead. Just check up on the question.

Since log(x) (ln(x)) is positive for x> 1, how do you get -1 as its integral? I get 1 for the integral!

That's a good point...

[tex]\int^e_1 \log x dx = x(\log x -1) \right|^e_1 = e(1-1) - 1(\log 1 -1)= 0 - (\log 1 -1) = 1[/tex]..

Great, just great, i forgot the brackets on the log 1 -1 when I was doing it in my head, now I've made an ass of myself =]. Please ignore any thing i have said.

So I am on the right track?

Yes probably, seeing as Halls is helping you

What is Newton's Method?

Newton's Method, also known as the Newton-Raphson Method, is an iterative algorithm for finding the roots of a differentiable function. It is a numerical method that uses an initial guess to approximate the root of a function by continuously refining the estimate through successive iterations.

How does Newton's Method work?

In Newton's Method, the initial guess for the root is plugged into the function to get a corresponding output. The tangent line at that point is then calculated, and the x-intercept of that tangent line is taken as the next estimate for the root. This process is repeated until the estimate converges to a root of the function.

What are the advantages of using Newton's Method?

One advantage of Newton's Method is that it can converge to the root of a function quickly, often in just a few iterations. It is also a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of functions and problems.

What are the limitations of Newton's Method?

Newton's Method may not converge if the initial guess is too far from the actual root or if the function has multiple roots. It also requires the function to be differentiable, which may not always be the case.

How is Newton's Method used in real-world applications?

Newton's Method has many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is often used to solve optimization problems, find roots of equations, and calculate derivatives. For example, it can be used to find the maximum or minimum value of a function, determine the velocity of an object, or analyze the behavior of financial markets.