What Causes a Bright Spot at the Center in a Newton's Rings Experiment?

In summary, in a Newton's Rings experiment, a bright spot at the centre can be seen if there is an air gap between the centre of the lens and the glass, causing a further phase difference and resulting in incomplete destructive interference. This can also be achieved by viewing the bottom of the ring and ensuring the transmission of light is opposite to the surface of the lens.
steven10137

Homework Statement

In a Newton's Rings experiment, involving a curved lens on a glass surface, what might have happened to the set-up to see a bright spot at the centre?

2. The attempt at a solution
Well I know that normally we get a dark spot at the centre because of the lambda/2 phase difference which causes destructive interference, but I am a little confused with how a bright spot could be seen at the centre.

My first thought was that perhaps an air gap was left between the centre of the lens and the glass but I'm not really sure.

cheers
Steven

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone got any suggestions?

i was thinking it must have something to do with the phase differences on exit, but no idea how to relate this to the experiment.
btw: here is a link
http://physics.bu.edu/~duffy/semester2/c26_Newtons_rings.html

I know that the equation for the radius of the m'th Newton's bright ring is:
[tex]x_m = \left[ {\left( {m + \frac{1}{2}} \right)\lambda R} \right]^{1/2} [/tex]
where:
R is the radius of curvature of the lens the light is passing through,
m is 0,1,2,3... which is dependent upon the number of light spots,
λ is the wavelength of the light passing through the glass.

Last edited:
nevermind I found the solution elsewhere.
Turns out it is because of the air gap between the lens and the glass.
Upon reflection, there is a further phase difference, meaning that it will be > lambda/2
and hence not give fully destructive interference and give a bright spot.

thanks neways

anyway, you can change the result of Newton ring.
Just view at the bottom of the ring. the transmission of light should be opposite to the surface

1. What is the Newton's Rings experiment?

The Newton's Rings experiment is an optical experiment that demonstrates the principle of interference. It involves placing a convex lens on top of a flat glass plate with a thin film of air between them. When light is shone onto the plate, a series of concentric colored rings can be seen due to the interference of light waves.

2. What is the importance of the Newton's Rings experiment?

The Newton's Rings experiment is important because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light and the concept of interference. It also has practical applications in the field of optics, such as in the measurement of the thickness of transparent materials.

3. How is the Newton's Rings experiment set up?

The experiment requires a convex lens, a flat glass plate, a light source, and a viewing screen. The lens is placed on the glass plate, creating a thin film of air between them. The light source is then shone onto the plate at an angle, and the resulting interference pattern can be seen on the viewing screen.

4. What factors affect the appearance of the Newton's Rings pattern?

The appearance of the Newton's Rings pattern is affected by the wavelength of the light used, the thickness of the air film, and the curvature of the lens and glass plate. Any changes in these factors will result in a different pattern of rings.

5. What other experiments can be done using the principle of interference demonstrated in the Newton's Rings experiment?

The principle of interference demonstrated in the Newton's Rings experiment can also be applied in other experiments, such as the Michelson Interferometer and the Young's Double Slit experiment. These experiments help to further understand the wave nature of light and its behavior when passing through different mediums.