Why Are My Newton's Rings Experiment Results Inconsistent?

In summary, the conversation discusses a procedure involving monochromatic light and a plano convex lens to measure the radius of curvature of the lens. The method involves measuring the diameter of dark rings produced by the light and plotting a graph of D2 vs n to calculate the radius. However, there seems to be a discrepancy between the radius calculated using the graph and the one measured using a spherometer. The possibility of error in converting units is considered, but the issue remains unresolved.
TachyonLord
When monochromatic light is incident on a plano convex lens(as shown in the picture), these dark rings are produced which are observed with the help of a traveling microscope.
Picture1.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

The procedure requires us to measure the diameter of each ring (We need to measure the diameter of at least 10 rings).
This is done by noting down the microscope reading at the left and right end of the ring and then subtracting the readings. The aim of the experiment is to calculate the radius of curvature of the given lens(which can also be done using a spherometer and we also do that to verify the result)

The radius is calculated using the formula $$ R = \frac {D^2_n - D^2_m} {4(n-m)λ} $$ where λ is the wavelength of the light used (For sodium, it is 589.3nm)

As a result, if we plot a graph as D2 vs n(where n is the ring number), we get a straight line.
As a result the formula can be simplified to $$ R = \frac {c} {4λ} $$
where c is the slope
The problem I'm encountering is that I get a very very nice fit for my graph, its almost a perfectly fitted straight line but the slope that I get is much much larger as compared to what we are supposed to get. When I tried to measure the radius using a spherometer, I got around 147cm which is really far from the radius that I get using the graph.
In order to get anything about 140cm, the slope from the graph should be around 0.03 but I get 0.218 which is really really far (and incorrect if you may but the straight graph just messes up my intuition).
I'll attach the graph:
14055086_10154050222533702_2639753554470574213_n.jpg

The radius found using the spherometer is much more likely to be correct but the graph that I got from my set of observations is near perfect too. It would be extremely wonderful if anyone could find out what is wrong or where I went wrong. I can't really ask my profs now because uni is closed for a week.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 4,934
  • maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,694
  • 14055086_10154050222533702_2639753554470574213_n.jpg
    14055086_10154050222533702_2639753554470574213_n.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3,397
Likes horizz
Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't been through the calculations but I see there is a factor of approximately ten difference. Are you using a mix of cm and mm, by any chance? It's easily done.

sophiecentaur said:
I haven't been through the calculations but I see there is a factor of approximately ten difference. Are you using a mix of cm and mm, by any chance? It's easily done.
I did consider that but I'm pretty sure I haven't and even if there was, since we're plotting D2 vs n, the error would either be of 100 or 0.01 because we're squaring D.

Likes sophiecentaur
TachyonLord said:
I did consider that but I'm pretty sure I haven't and even if there was, since we're plotting D2 vs n, the error would either be of 100 or 0.01 because we're squaring D.
Have you dropped the factor of 4 somewhere?

tech99 said:
Like radius squared vs diameter squared ??

tech99 said:
No, I'm pretty sure I haven't. I can send in a couple of my readings if you want to.

What is the Newton's Rings Experiment?

The Newton's Rings Experiment is an optical phenomenon that demonstrates the interference of light waves. It involves placing a convex lens on top of a flat glass surface, creating concentric rings of light that change in color as the distance from the center increases.

What is the purpose of the Newton's Rings Experiment?

The purpose of the Newton's Rings Experiment is to observe and study the interference patterns created by light waves. This experiment helps to understand the wave nature of light and the principles of interference.

What equipment is needed for the Newton's Rings Experiment?

The equipment needed for the Newton's Rings Experiment includes a convex lens, a flat glass surface, a monochromatic light source (such as a laser), and a microscope or magnifying glass to view the interference patterns.

How does the Newton's Rings Experiment work?

The Newton's Rings Experiment works by placing a convex lens on a flat glass surface, creating a thin layer of air between the two surfaces. When light from a monochromatic source is shone onto the lens, the light waves reflect off the top and bottom surfaces, creating interference patterns that can be observed through a microscope or magnifying glass.

What are some real-world applications of the Newton's Rings Experiment?

The Newton's Rings Experiment has various practical applications, such as in the manufacturing of lenses and other optical components. It is also used in the study of thin films and their properties, as well as in the measurement of small distances and the determination of the refractive index of materials.