What is the Nature of Force in Newton's Second Law?

In summary, the force exerted by the person pushing the box will continue to be present as long as they are pushing, and will dissipate once the person stops pushing.
godingly

Homework Statement

Thanks for looking. My understanding of Newton's Second Law, F=MA, is: If I give some mass a force, it will accelerate at some rate.
Imagine an infinite, frictionless surface. If I give a box of 1kg a push of 6 Newtons, it will accelerate at 6 m/sec2. So, at t=0, v=0. at t=1, v=6. I have two questions:
1) What is v, at t=0.5? is it 3? is it 6?
2) what is v, at t=2? does it remain 6, or continue accelerating to 12? and why?
What I'm trying to ask is, is the A in F=MA is an ongoing acceleration, that keeps accelerating the box as long as there is no friction, or is it a single acceleration, giving an addition of 6 m/sec2 once, and that's it?

Homework Equations

F=MA

The Attempt at a Solution

Asked my sister and someone who graduated in physics, read the wikipedia article, searched Google, read relevant chapters in Conceptual Physics, and watched Prof. Walter Lewin (Best Accent!). No one addresses my questions. Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
godingly said:
What I'm trying to ask is, is the A in F=MA is an ongoing acceleration, that keeps accelerating the box as long as there is no friction, or is it a single acceleration, giving an addition of 6 m/sec2 once, and that's it?
As long as there is a net force on the box it will continue to accelerate. From the definition of acceleration (a = Δv/Δt) you can figure out the speed at any time. (Since the acceleration is uniform.)

Thank you, Doc Al. I will restate my question: Assuming I give the box a push, and stay in my place (or drift to the opposite side, according to the third law) :
Is the force I gave to the box is ever-present, or is it instantaneous? if at t=0, f=6, what is f at t=0.5, or t=1? if it's zero, what opposing force eliminated the push? or does force "evaporates" the minute you use it?

The force on a system vanishes immediately when it is removed from the system.

godingly said:
Thank you, Doc Al. I will restate my question: Assuming I give the box a push, and stay in my place (or drift to the opposite side, according to the third law) :
Is the force I gave to the box is ever-present, or is it instantaneous?
The force exists for as long as you keep pushing! Newton's 3rd law says that as long as you keep pushing the box, the box will keep pushing back on you. (So what?)
if at t=0, f=6, what is f at t=0.5, or t=1? if it's zero, what opposing force eliminated the push? or does force "evaporates" the minute you use it?
As soon as you stop pushing, the acceleration becomes zero. If you just give the box a single shove, thus exerting the force for some time (and not forever), the box stops accelerating as soon as you stop exerting the force.

Perhaps you can restate your question, as I'm not sure I'm capturing what you have in mind.

I thought that unless an opposing force has acted on the box, the net force on the box will continue to be 6 Newtons, and therefore the box will continue to accelerate. But, the force is instantaneous, and "evaporates" immediately. no textbook tells you that about the nature of force. Got it.
Thanks you Doc Al, and Thank you physicsisgrea!

What is Newton's Second Law Conundrum?

Newton's Second Law Conundrum is a thought experiment that challenges our understanding of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and acceleration.

What is the main premise of the conundrum?

The main premise of Newton's Second Law Conundrum is that two objects with different masses, but the same amount of force applied to them, should have the same acceleration. However, this goes against our everyday observations and experiences.

How does the conundrum challenge our understanding of Newton's Second Law?

The conundrum challenges our understanding of Newton's Second Law by questioning the assumption that force is directly proportional to mass and acceleration. It suggests that there may be other factors at play that affect an object's acceleration.

What are some proposed solutions to the conundrum?

Some proposed solutions to the conundrum include the existence of a hypothetical fifth fundamental force, the effects of air resistance or friction on different objects, and the concept of inertia as a resistance to acceleration.

What are the real-world implications of this conundrum?

The conundrum highlights the complexity of the laws of motion and the need for further research and understanding in the field of physics. It also raises questions about the validity of Newton's laws in extreme situations, such as at the quantum level or in space.