1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Newton's Second Law of Motion

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    An object (mass 10.0 kg) slides upward on a slippery vertical wall. A force F of 60 N acts at an angle of 60 degrees (the force is 60 degrees South of the x+ axis, it's shown in a picture) Determine the normal force exerted on the object by the wall. Next, determine the object's acceleration.

Well I know that the equation for the y-dir would be 60cos60 which gives you 30 N. That is the normal force exerted by the wall. I can't visualize/understand this so if someone could explain this a bit better to me that would be great! I'm not sure of the other equations to use in this one.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2
    I think I figured it out....First off...
    M=2000 KG
    Vo=320 km/hr = 88.88 m/sec
    T=2.0 sec

Ok, I then used the equation D=1/2(Vo+Vi)T which turned out to be 88.88 M. So D=88.88 M. Then I used the equation A=V/T. That turned out to be 44.44 m/sec^2. Finally, I used Fnet=ma. This turned out to be 88,880. The answer in the back was 8.9*10^4 which is 89,000. Do I do this problem correct?
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    wait...Ah I'm doing another problem...sorry!! See I can figure out the problems that don't involve angles...those angles are so complicated! Ah back to trying to solve the first one... the one I solved was..."A jet catapult on an aircraft carrier accelerates a 2000 kg plane uniformly from rest to a launch speed of 320 km/h in 2.0 sec. What is the magnitude of the net force on the plane?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?