Nilpotent matrix wit h index 2

In summary: No, it doesn't. But it must be equal to zero, or the equation won't hold. The only way to achieve this is to find a and b such that a^2=0 and a^(2-1) doesn't equal 0.
grimlock16

Homework Statement

Determine a and b such that A is nipotent of index 2.

A:= <<a,b>|<0,0>>

A is a 2x2 matrix column 1 is a and b , column 2 is 0's

Homework Equations

A^k=0 to be nilpotent and to be nipotent it has to be that A^(k-1) doesn't equal 0..

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've tried squaring the matrix and getting a result matrix

squared:= <<a^2,ba+b^2>|<0,0>>

so i can only assume that a and b must be zero to insure A^k (in this case k is 2 so squared) but then on A^(2-1) A must not be a zero matrix.. so...

my class didn't cover nilpotent yet and i guess the teacher just assumed we knew it.. so after doing research that's what i have gotten to understand about it.. but would like some help if someone can point out what I'm missing to make it nilpotent and work on both checks the A^k=0 and A^(k-1) not equal zero

Yes it is a homework problem, but i did make an attempt at it for 3hrs before asking for help on it, and its not due for a couple days so its not like I'm just saying here solve it for me.. I'm just looking for some help to understand inpontents cause there are some other problems, like 3 on the matter and i just don't get it i guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I'm missing something huge here, you're overcomplicating things. You have a given index (and a "small" one!), and you only have to work one simple matrix equation out (eg matrix is A nilpotent of index 2 if A^2 = 0).

but to get it to be nilpotent, a^2=0 and a^(2-1)doesn't eqaul 0, a and b must be given values.. but the only values I've found to work to solve the first part.. proving the second part of the nipotent seems impossible for 2.. because so far a and b being =0 kills the second part of the check

The square of your matrix is <<a^2,b*a>|<0,0>>. Now does b need to be zero?

1. What is a nilpotent matrix with index 2?

A nilpotent matrix with index 2 is a square matrix whose second power (A²) is equal to the zero matrix. In other words, multiplying the matrix by itself twice results in a matrix of all zeros. The index 2 refers to the minimum number of times the matrix must be multiplied by itself to become the zero matrix.

2. How is the index of a nilpotent matrix determined?

The index of a nilpotent matrix is determined by the highest power of the matrix that results in the zero matrix. In the case of a nilpotent matrix with index 2, the second power of the matrix must be equal to the zero matrix, while the first power of the matrix is not.

3. Are all nilpotent matrices with index 2 similar?

No, not all nilpotent matrices with index 2 are similar. Similarity of matrices means that they have the same eigenvalues, which is not always the case for nilpotent matrices. However, all nilpotent matrices with the same index are similar to each other.

4. What are the properties of a nilpotent matrix with index 2?

Some properties of a nilpotent matrix with index 2 include:

• The determinant of the matrix is equal to 0.
  • The trace of the matrix is also equal to 0.
  • The matrix is not invertible.
  • The rank of the matrix is less than or equal to 2.

5. Can a nilpotent matrix with index 2 have non-zero eigenvalues?

No, a nilpotent matrix with index 2 cannot have non-zero eigenvalues. This is because the second power of the matrix must be equal to the zero matrix, meaning that all eigenvalues must be equal to 0. Therefore, a nilpotent matrix with index 2 is always a singular matrix.