Nitrogen Valences in Heme Molecule: Explained

• Thread starter fomenkoa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nitrogen
In summary, a heme molecule has a porphyrin structure with four Nitrogen atoms coordinate-covalently bound to the central Iron atom. The top-left Nitrogen has 5 valence electrons and the top right Nitrogen has 4 valence electrons, potentially due to resonance of the carbon rings. The Iron atom may have lone pairs of electrons. The shape of the heme group molecule can be studied using bonding theory, considering factors such as whether it is a transition metal complex or a covalent structure, formal charges, and resonance. Valence bond theory may not accurately predict the geometry of transition metal complexes.
fomenkoa
Hey everyone

I am confused as to the structure of a heme molecule. A picture of it is shown here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Heme.png

I understand the heme group is largely a porphyrin molecule. The 4 Nitrogens are coordinate-covalently bound to the central Iron atom. The top-left Nitrogen in the diagram checks out. It has 5 valence electrons (3 bonded to the two carbons and 2 in the coordinate bond)

However, my question is : what about the top right Nitrogen? It seems to only have 4 valence electrons.

Does this have to do with the resonance of the carbon rings and how the double bonds can move around? Any help would be appreciated!

Also, Where are the valence electrons of the Iron since it doesent contribute to the coordinate bonds? Are they just lone pairs then?

Anton

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Just to add, the purpose of this question is to understand the shape of the heme group molecule using bonding theory...I have to write about all th ebond angles and such...whew...so I guess I need to understand any resonant structures and lone pairs, etc...

Alright, so let's start off with the question of whether this is a transition metal complex or a covalent structure.

From here on you can rationalize the questions you have asked e.g. in transition metal complexes, which orbitals hold the valence electrons for iron?

Also, consider the formal charges, and yes you'll need to consider resonance, the electron and molecular geometries

even in transition metal complexes there are degrees of covalency, but predicting their geometries through valence bond theory simply will not work, in most cases.

What is the heme molecule?

The heme molecule is a complex organic compound found in many living organisms, including plants and animals. It is composed of a porphyrin ring with an iron atom in the center, and is responsible for binding and transporting oxygen throughout the body.

What is the role of nitrogen in the heme molecule?

Nitrogen is an essential element in the heme molecule, as it forms bonds with the iron atom and helps stabilize the porphyrin ring. It also plays a crucial role in the molecule's ability to bind and release oxygen.

How many nitrogen atoms are present in the heme molecule?

There are four nitrogen atoms in the heme molecule, each located at the corners of the porphyrin ring. These nitrogen atoms are crucial for the molecule's structure and function.

What are the valences of nitrogen in the heme molecule?

The nitrogen atoms in the heme molecule have a valence of 3, meaning they have the ability to form three bonds with other atoms. This allows them to form stable bonds with the iron atom and contribute to the overall stability of the molecule.

How does the valence of nitrogen affect the function of the heme molecule?

The valence of nitrogen is essential for the heme molecule's ability to bind and release oxygen. It allows the molecule to form strong bonds with the iron atom, which is crucial for the oxygen-binding capacity of heme in red blood cells.